inkjet printer cartridges driving me mad

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JesseJames, Feb 10, 2008.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I have a HP inkjet printer. I don't use it very often and when I do have to use it I find that the ink cartridges have dried out.
    I am getting sick of buying a $18.00 cartridge every time I have to print out a few pages.
    Can anyone give me tips on how to keep the damn cartridges "fresh".

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i don't have any tricks, but you can get ink cartridges on ebay for about $8 with shipping. best deal, don't pay full price at stores for em

3. stevegmu macrumors regular

Take them out, and put them in a baggie between uses.

4. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried the plastic baggie trick but it doesn't quite work. The cartridge still dies after a few pages. Don't even get me started on how many times I have to use the utility software to "clean" the heads. It is all I can do to restrain myself from flinging the whole shebang out the window.
    I have even tried to copy the manufacturers' trick of covering the head itself by cutting a piece of saran wrap and fitting it onto the head and taping it up with scotch tape!
    I thought maybe getting one of those vacuum food sealers may finally do the trick.
    Sometimes I hate technology.
    A thousand curses upon inkjet printers!!! Someday someone will finally invent something that will make it obsolete; just like that Dyson vacuum cleaner did to the vacuum cleaner business! I shall be bellowing with laughter when it does happen!

Rant over.

5. stevegmu macrumors regular

Someone has- the laser printer. I got sick of constantly buying cartridges, and $75 ink jets breaking down every 6 months, so bought a Brother laser copier/printer/scanner.