Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electronique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hi.

Just using Inkscape for the first time. Was just playing a round with some text, 2 duplicate layers.. Then some filters (blurring etc)

Ive found it to be terribly slow.
eg. Move one layer with mouse or arrow keys - Takes a good half a second to refresh... Filters takes a good 1-2 seconds to apply.

Anyone else have this problem?
2.66Ghz - 4GB DDR3 - Geforce 9400

I know my specs arent great.. But Ive just purchased an HDV cam (HV40) and am worried that the iMac wont handle it.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I am using Inkscape 0.47 on an 2,6 GHz Athlon X4 and it works really well (under Windows 7).

Is the Mac version native version or you must run it trough X11?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
As far as I can tell 0.47 runs pretty well on my 2.4Ghz MBP (in X11 on Snow Leopard).

Startup is about the only thing I've found to be slow.

Edit: Actually, I've just played around with it a bit more, and after applying a filter or two refresh is pretty slow. It's Inkscape, though, not your computer. (I haven't installed it on my Windows partition, so I can't compare it to the Windows version.)

Also, I'm not so sure that a port of an open-source vector drawing program would give any insight into HDV editing performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.