Inline photos in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevearm, Sep 23, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all, just got my new MBP today and am using OS X for the very first time!

One thing is killing me though. When I want to email pics, I don't want them to be sent as inline, ie... embedded into the message itself. I want them to send as attachments.

Is there any way of doing this? I found a terminal command that would do it, but then that screwed up any INCOMING emails with inline images, which obviously I still want to keep.

Can anyone please help? It's driving me crazy!

Thanks

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I take it you're sending JPEGs? We had the same issue, and as a work around found we were able to send as attachments if we put the email as plain text and didn't use a signature. Not ideal, so if anyone else has a better solution I'd be interested to hear it myself.

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I think you are making this situation more complicated than it is. As long as you are not sending html formatted emails, the recipient will receive the attachments displayed per their own client settings, either inline or as separate attachments. The fact that they are displayed inline during composition is irrelevant to how it will look when received.

4. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not at all making it more complicated. Many people I've spoken to get them as inline images, and are unable to save them to their machine. It's ridiculous. I was just wondering if there was a fix.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Are you using html to compose your messages? If yes, switch to plain text or rtf. If no, than the display of the messages on the recipients end is decided by the settings of their email client. I've never come across an email client that couldn't save images even if they are displayed inline.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple Mail sends files as attachments but displays them inline.

7. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks very much. Strange I've just tested it and images do indeed come up as attachments on Outlook on my PC.

I've also found this:

http://lokiware.info/Mail-Attachments-Iconizer

That will stop Mail.app from displaying incoming images inline! :)

8. devburke Guest

Everyone’s overcomplicating this. Right click the picture, click “View as Icon”. You’re done.

Screen shot 2009-09-23 at 9.37.59 PM.png

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That only switches it to an icon, it has nothing to do with inline/attached files.

10. devburke Guest

Well then don’t show up inline (embedded) any more, they show up as icons, just like any other non-inline attachment.