Innovation on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FSMBP, May 23, 2012.

1. FSMBP, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I hate Microsoft Windows as much as the next person (OS X has spoiled me) but Windows 8 definitely shows true innovation over Apple's iPad.

For example, if I'm watching passively watching a TV Show on my iPad and I get an iMessage, I have to exit the show and go to iMessage to respond. Then, when I'm done, go back to my show. But in Windows 8, you can have multiple apps open at once (see picture). You can a "mini" version of a secondary app. Therefore, I can watch a show and message someone without leaving my show (just as I can on my Mac). Or, I can have my Twitter feed going as I do something else.

I love Apple as much as anyone else but it feels like their idea of single fullscreen Apps is dated. There is a reason why they perfected multitasking on OS X; I just found it odd when it's not brought to iOS. Granted, I don't know what this multitasking would do to battery life but I can't imagine battery life being better if I'm constantly switching between IMing someone and relaunching a TV Show.

Anyone else feel like iOS needs some new innovations? I always left like Apple was the only company truly innovating; it's weird seeing a company like Microsoft actually making something better.

Attached Files:

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

Hang on, let me grab some popcorn...this should be good........

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Was that necessary? All I was saying that currently 'multitasking on the iPad isn't perfect. Even Apple Fanboy John Gruber agrees that Windows 8 does show true innovation as opposed to copying (which Microsoft has been doing).

It's not like I posted a sentence like "Droids rule, Apple sucks cause screen is 3.5" LOLz". I post an intelligent argument on why multitasking isn't up to par on iPad.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I do wish I could have a split pane "mini" view, such as what you described. With the retina display, it should work nicely since you don't need to dedicate that much space for the text to be readable.

5. stevemiller macrumors 65832

Since iOS already has the ability to background stuff like audio,gps and download completion, I think the main thing missing is a sort of picture-in-picture option for videos or anything else you want to visually reference while working in other apps. I think it'll be much smarter to continue finding intelligent implementations of the most used multitasking scenarios, rather than a full blown catch-all solution.

And if Microsoft is leading the way this time with those side-by-side app options, all the better, as long as someone keeps the ball rolling!

6. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Very true. I hope true competition comes in the tablet market & pressures Apple to innovate further.

7. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

While I agree that Win8 looks promising, don't confuse eye candy with innovation. A lot of people are oohing and ahhing and calling the UI revolutionary.

Example. People seem to love Windows 7.5 mango. I'll admit to thinking its pretty and unique. However, if something isn't on your home screen, you must scrooooollll for what seems forever through app icons in a narrow list that all look the same. This is a huge step back and is reminiscent of a start menu with broken icons.

I applaud Microsoft however for their originality. They took a couple queues from Apple with the walled garden approach, and stability over features (starting out) but made a product completely their own.

The split screen apps however seems clumsy and unnecessary.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There will always be some feature(s) of other operating systems that Apple doesn't do as well, or doesn't do at all. But so far, IMO and millions of other's, Apple still has the upper hand for many reasons; hardware options, content delivery, customer service, to name a few.

For now, Apple is enjoying massive dominant success because they sell both great hardware and good software. The greatness of the hardware is carrying the goodness of the software. The hardware is so coveted that it's buying them time. The pressure to keep the software up to the minute fresh and relevant is reduced by the success of the hardware, which only runs their software.

So far, people are voting with their hardware dollars and Apple can take their sweet time adding features to the software. Apple is doing a balancing act between hardware and software innovation and the sales figures seem to indicate they're pretty good at it.

That's not to say Windows for phones isn't great, or at least has some things that really great. But until either Microsoft or someone else comes up with hardware for it that is as insanely and irrationally covetable and popular as the iPhone, those great Windows features will merely be a scratch pad for Apple's idea department. Zune has proven that a sweet OS isn't enough on its own to take Apple down, though I personally liked both the hardware and the software.

9. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I'd like the split screen multitasking. I mean, I can live with the current iteration of "multitasking", but split screen would make life a little easier.

I hope Microsoft and Google push the envelope more, as it'll force Apple to raise their game.

10. gjrevans macrumors member

gjrevans

This would be fantastic, I agree. However, all of this just goes to show how ADHD our generation has become! haha! Fingers cross for iOS 6 and all that it brings with it for both the iPhone and the iPad! Would be cool if we got an update to the drop down widgets menu to support some of this multitasking!

11. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I'm a Windows lover back from Windows 3.1 or whatever, and I do think iOS does need some upgrades. But overall I really don't need it to be more like Windows. I guess it depends on whether you're trying to replace your PC or sopplement it though.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I hope people realize soon that this doesn't endear people to your argument. If you have an opinion, say it, and people will judge if they agree with you or not. Waxing loyal to the cult of Apple doesn't make you any more or less of an authority than the rest of us here.

To me, every time I see "I own 9001 gazillion Apple Products and I personally washed Steve Jobs' feet every morning from April 1, 1976 until he died, but..." I immediately think to myself "oh, here we go again..."

We haven't seen it running on an actual, production tablet yet. Nor have we seen what's going to happen with iOS 6.

Until then, there's no "innovation," as diluted as that term has become with people tossing it around all the time. It's all vaporware.

Let's see whether Microsoft actually delivers on all of its promises (remember Whistler?) on a real, useable device, and let's see what Apple's working on, before we declare the iPad dead and Windows 8 the all time winner of the tablet wars, shall we?

13. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Or you could hit the "Search" icon in the app list. You hit the same wall when you have too many apps in iOS, scrolling through Homescreens to find it, jumping in and out of folders trying to remember where it is. Unless you hit Search, like you can in WP7.

14. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'm definitely hoping they incorporate multitasking soon. One if the main reasons I can't do some of my work in the iPad is that I really need multiple things open next to each other - to, say, scan through an article I'm citing while I'm writing, or keep my coding scheme in view while I'm coding data. In both cases I could print it out, but i?thats exactly what I'm trying to avoid!

I have no idea how well it's done on windows 8, but I really hope it lights a fire under apple. In the meantime, I'm considering quasar (jb tweak) but not sure if I want to spend $10 when I've heard it's currently buggy.

15. iEvolution macrumors 65816

It's innovative, the basic definition is something new that hasn't been done before, which if you look at the videos it is radically different and has some neat features over both android and iOS.

You're confusing innovation with success, one doesn't necessarily preclude the other.

If you think Windows 8 is vaporware (a software product promoted that may never actually be produced), you're just being silly, it's obviously going to make it to the market its just a matter of when.

I don't even care if it fails because it will still get others to take look and further develop their platforms (android/iOS).

If the Zune 16 was never released the iPod Nano would have probably never made it to 16gb capacity, in fact the 16gb was rushed into development once it was realized Microsoft was releasing a 16GB model.

You should be happy Microsoft is bringing something to the market, you want an example of what happens to products when their is no competition? Look at the iPod line now. Thankfully Samsung put their guns up and released the 4"/5" Galaxy Player, otherwise we would probably see little to no upgrades to the iPod Touch this year.

16. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

True. However I think pages of grids of identifiable icons is much easier to work with than the list in Mango. I mean, the rest of the Mango OS is beautiful. This is really the only issue I have with WP7. In iOS as well its easy to go, oh, *app* is on page 3... or I see Shazam so Draw something is on the next page.

Attached Files:

17. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I wanted people who see where I was coming from; I wanted to show that even with my dislike of Microsoft, I still believe they had a great concept. It helps illustrate my opinion. ;)

18. Dustman, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I agree whole-heartedly with you on this. They get an A++ for originality. Android gets a F-- for being hideous, crashy, and generic. Before anyone flames me, I recently sold my iPhone 4S for an Android 2.3 device after a.. difference in opinion with Telus Mobility. So I have months of use to back me up. And trust me y'all, with the quality of apps, and the fact that my phone randomly restarts itself about one in every 10 times I open Draw Something or TuneIn, it doesn't matter if you're running it on a Samsung Uranus S6 or an HTC S**tStorm, it's crap. Not useless, but crap.

19. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

True, however this only holds true to the person who's organised it. Everytime I hand my iPhone to my friend or family member they have to ask me where an app is, or search for it.

App organisation in its simplest form. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that Windows Phone has more options for finding apps, you can have it on your homescreen (like iOS), search for it (like iOS) or have it in an Alphabetical list. It's certainly not the huge step backwards or a broken start menu like you mentioned earlier.

[​IMG]

20. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

so, going back to the original post...

Does the Main/larger window in Win8 shrink from the sides, shrink all around or simply cut off part of one side to accomplish this?

I have no idea just asking...the idea is neat, but I don't think I'd like to watch a movie if it is cut-off or squished on the sides.

anyone know?

21. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

That's not exclusive to 8, you've always been able to do that on windows.

Personally, I believe I'm spoiled the other direction, I could never use a Mac, not with the freedom of a PC, but I don't wanna contribute much to this oncoming flame war. Have fun.

----------

I laughed...

22. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It's not a thread to be taken as a flame war. It's not Microsoft > Apple or vice versa. If people can't discuss/talk about their favorite company's weaknesses, we got a bigger problem.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, would like to know this too. Splitting windows sounds good as a concept, but it's details like this that makes it a success or failure.

24. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Could not agree more with the op. I think if windows 8 gets a large number of decent apps, it will be hard for me to stay with my iPad unless something changes soon.

25. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

DB post of the day?