inpenetrable RAM compartment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smartalic34, Jan 20, 2008.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I ordered new RAM the other day for my MBP, and I've been trying to get into the RAM compartment to switch out the memory. I was able to loosen 2 of the 3 screws with the recommended phillips #00 screwdriver. however, one screw is stuck.

I've applied enough force to start stripping the screw, and it just won't come out. Are there any techniques to get the screw out without damaging the MBP or stripping the screw completely?

Much appreciated

2. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

I hate to see you go this route but, I work on pretty expensive electronic equipment, whenever I get hardware thats starting to strip i wet the tip with water and dip it in AJAX. Since thats not really an option for you. you might have to get it drilled? Personally I would take a dremel and make an incision(carefully) and make that phillps 0 a flat headed screw, then find a suitable replacement.

I am sure there are other smarter than me!

Cheers!

3. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

if you can't do it yourself, go to an Apple Store and have the Geniuses help you out. You don't want to do anything stupid (ie drilling it out). If you have the Geniuses do it, if they break it, you won't be held accountable for the damage.

4. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

so I took it to an apple store. turns out the compartment was machined improperly. the genius had so much difficulty getting the screw out, their special extractor wouldnt work. he had to take the screw and eyelet out, and I currently have a mangled bottom case. however, I need my MBP for school, but during spring break, I will be sending it in for a free case replacement as per the genius' offer:)