input HDMI to MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NikolasMason, May 25, 2009.

1. NikolasMason macrumors member

I've searched the forums for an answer to this, but all I could find were threads about MacBook Pro's having HDMI output. I want to know if there are any third party devices that would allow for HDMI input on my late 08 unibody MacBook Pro. As in, a way to connect like a PS3 or other HD thing into my MBP. Is there anything like this?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Just no. There isn't enough bandwidth on the MBP to handle hdmi input with zero lag from a ps3 in high def.

There are pci express cards which offer hdmi input , in which you could fabricate a solution involving very expensive expresscard -> pci express adapters but you're looking at costs upwards of 2 grand. Again, these won't be robust enough for lag free gaming.

There is the hd-pvr which allows component input, but , you guessed it, too slow.

3. goMac macrumors 603

HDMI was designed specifically to not let this happen, so that you can't capture the output of a Bluray disc or something.

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've tried TV tuner cards for desktop PCs in the past, in my attempt to play game consoles on the computer screen. And there was ~0.5s lag everytime, and those consoles weren't even HD.

Many new monitors now include HDMI inputs, like this one, so why not just use a monitor instead?

5. jonnyblobby macrumors member

jonnyblobby

Matrox MXO2 Mini

Currently the only solution for laptops I'm aware of (as I have been doing allot of research for this option on a MacBook Pro for pro video use) Is the Matrox MXO2 Mini LAPTOP version (US$449).
    http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini/
    You need a ExpressCard /34 slot (there is also a PCIe version)
    I have not used this device myself, however I have used the more expensive competitor, the AJA IO Express http://www.aja.com/products/io/io-express.php
    which is about US$900. And this does still have a very slight lag even on the top of the line MacBook Pro laptops which would make live gameplay difficult.
    Note, that these devices are designed for Pro Video applications.

Saying all that, I do know that there are computers such as the new iMacs with displayports that allow video INPUT using a cheap adaptor (DVI, HDMI input) and this may become an option with the newer macbooks soon i'm guessing, in this case, its an interface directly to the display, and not a video i/o device that works thru the computer itself, it would not have a lag associated with the input.

6. omr macrumors member

omr

I want to convert vhs movies to dvd and/or mp4. I already have an AV Receiver that can do the conversion, but it would be output via HDMI.

Can I take the HDMI signal and input it to a MBP (6,2 mid2010 i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD)?
    If so, how... via HDMI to miniDisplayPort?

However, I think even if that would work, there's still the issue of HDCP:
    Capturing video over HDMI

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

The display ports on the MBP are output only. The only way to capture is to use one of the expensive adapters or an elgato eyetv

8. omr macrumors member

omr

okay, thanks...
    and even if it were, i'd still likely have the HDCP issue... :(

9. jcpb macrumors 6502a

No, no and no.

You need a composite-/component-to-USB video conversion adapter to "download" VHS tape content to your MBP.

You cannot plug a HDMI source into your MBP, even if the destination port is the onboard TB/mini-DisplayPort. It just will not work.

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

How about a BlackMagic Intensity Extreme?
    Although it is pretty expensive!

11. omr macrumors member

omr

"No, no and no" is not exactly correct, but I appreciate the response...

Yes, my receiver converts and outputs HDMI ;)
    but No, I cannot input into the minidisplay port, you're right.
    And Yes, HDCP would be a problem.

True, I agree that an analog to usb converter would work, but it could also be output through firewire and inpiut into the MBP that way as well.
    For HDMI I would need something that would convert to one of those two types of connection (usb or firewire), as long as it also deals with the HDCP issue.

Thanks

12. intermedial macrumors newbie

Yes, for capturing gameplay, but OP has an '08 MPB and thus does not have thunderbolt.

13. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I believe its only available as PCI, USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. 2008 Mac Book Pro doesn't support any of these.