Input Needed: 2012 cMBP or rMBP : Specs inside!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M5RahuL, Jul 22, 2012.

1. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I'm really confused which one to get!

My uses: Music ; Browsing with FF or Chrome with about 10-15 tabs open at anytime ; Video encoding ; VMs ; Very light gaming and alike.. Nothing heavy duty!

My options:

1) 2012 cMBP Ultimate with the following specs:

2.7 i7
    750 7200 HDD
    8 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 650m with 1GB

+ $100 Student GC

2) 2012 rMBP and Specs:

2.3 i7
    256 SSD
    16GB RAM
    650m NVIDIA

+ Apple Care
    + $100 Student GC
    + Thule Crossover BagPack
    + Extra Magsafe 2 Charger

3) 2012 rMBP - Specs:

2.6 i7
    512 SSD
    8GB RAM
    650m NVIDIA

+ $100 Student GC

They are all the same price [ including tax ] for me via Apple Customer Relations. I'm really pulling my hair deciding on which one to get!! :confused:

Please advise... :)

2. deerfaced macrumors regular

I'd go No. 2 pal... I've got the same machine and couldn't be happier.

Plus you're getting apple care in there too. Good piece of mind. Just my opinion mind! I guess it really depends on what you're looking for!

(although, it depends on 'music' I guess. My usage is pretty much spotify - if you're planning to run a large iTunes library, maybe no. 2 isn't the way to go)

3. Queen6, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

One forget ultimate, your a student not a PHD go with base or high tier (if you want to play games) standard MBP. From your described use the 15" base standard MBP will be more than enough by a long chalk...

Even the base standard MacBook Pro is an extremely powerful computer, far exceeding most education requirements, let alone the higher end options. The Retina at present may be problematic, it`s simply too new for your needs, 6-12 months will be a very different story.....

4. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

I got the base model rMBP with 16gb ram and i love it! :)

But my Final Cut Pro don't run as good.. Because the "example" window lags when there are many things happening.. Don't know if its because my Mac can't handle it or if its because i use a copy i got from a friend, hope its the last..

Mine works good and around 10 secs to you are at the login screen, and then its nearly instant to desktop :)

5. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

OP: What means music? Making music or listening music? :eek:

I got option #2 and sono molto contento. Best computer of all time, nothing more and nothing less. The retina display is a new technical standard. The notebook is extremely fast, stylish and brilliant in all aspects (I am a tiny bit missing the audio in).

When you are editing music, photos or videos you can make very well use of the 16 GB RAM.

Two disadvantages: You can’t stop working/consuming with your rMBP. (I have it now for two weeks and I am glad that I didn’t leave for holidays. It’s something like a second home.) When you got used to the retina resolution and then (after some hours) you look again at the screen of another computer (except iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) you feel like being in a technical museum.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

2K+ Mac and your using pirate software, you deserve all you get :rolleyes: stop wasting bandwidth and cry else where........

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Drop the 2.7 on the cMBP, not necessary. Buy 16GB and stick it in yourself.

8. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

I think it's pirate software too…
    But will it work better with retail from AppStore ? Right now i have 10.0.5..

9. M5RahuL thread starter macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I should've posted some more info..spoonerism gets me everytime :eek:

1) The cMBP [ option 1 ] also comes with HR + AG

2) I'm going for a Masters in AI [ cybernetics ; robotics etc ] so I assume I'm going to be using some extensive software for 3D modeling. I start in Fall.

3) As for music, it's mostly my collection ~ 10 GB and I've started listening to Spotify a lot lately.

4) I use Excel [ large spread sheets ] extensively.

5) I'm going to need to run Windows in Parallels w/ Boot Camp for certain tasks.

From what the general consensus seems here, I should ditch the Retina and stick with the Classic, correct ? And, get the base 2.3/4/500 model and up the RAM to 8 or 16 myself.

Just to clarify, the $$ difference between the base cMBP Vs the Ultimate is $250 including tax for me. I can get any of the options listed in my OP for just shy of $2K w/tax included.

10. ANTONkoolaid macrumors member

Option 2 looks like the best to me (probably cause I ordered the identical thing on 7/6). Why do you need another MagSafe though? I'd take that off the shopping list and add a portable USB 3.0 drive instead.

11. Meever macrumors 6502a

For excel that 1920x1200 resolution mode is total boss. I don't excel a lot because I hate it with a passion. However, having the extra few hundred pixels really helps aliviate the pain to some extent.

From your options base rMBP+AppleCare sounds the best.

12. jcpb macrumors 6502a

It's fine -sorta- if its for personal non-commercial use.

If you're using that pirated copy to make money with your work, you will have hell to pay as soon as someone catches you red-handed.

13. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

2.7 sounds overkill - unless you are really looking to do some serious processor hungry tasks. I'd recommend leaning towards #2 (or #1).

14. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

It's for personal non-commercial use........

15. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I really like the normal 1440x900 display on the MacBooks. Of course, I've not yet seen a Retina model for myself, but by all accounts they are magnificent. I would rather go for the 1440x900 model, as I use a lot of HDD space and also prefer a more substantial form factor.

16. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

option 1 minus the 2.7. Only reason I say is because of the AG screen, which I've been a huge fan of ever since they put up that option

17. emailsfh macrumors member

I agree. I got 2.6 with AG screen, 1TB HDD, with plans to put in 16gb and a 512 Samsung 830 SSD in the future. With student discount I was under $2500 including Applecare.