Input on imminent purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 100thMonkey, Aug 26, 2014.

1. 100thMonkey macrumors member

Input is appreciated. I want to buy a new rMBP, currently wife has a Late 2013 13" 2.6 i5 with 8 GB RAM.
    1) it does everything I need well
    2) Does not get hot
    3) has great battery life

I would like to get the 15" for myself though. I have some concerns. I don't want to sacrifice either the unit getting hot or losing significant battery life. How does the base Mid 2014 15" rMBP (just Iris Pro) compare to the Late 2013 13" 2.6 i5 with 8 GB RAM with regard to heat and battery life. I really like how cool the 13" runs and how long the battery lasts, but I would like a larger screen for my own unit.

Also, I'm looking at buying a display at some point, likely either the LG 31MU95 or the LG 34MU95, will there be any difference in the Iris, Iris Pro, and Nvidia performance pushing those kind of displays?

2. AnonDP macrumors member

I have a recently purchased 2014 base 15". (Review thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1768743)

My view on the macine:

PROS - Good internal parts, pretty fast machine
    CONS - Very heavy, gets extremely hot, charger has fire making potential, cheap/nasty accessories, sharp edges, just many things contribute to a uncomfortable experience IMO.

Get a 13' with a external display. Still a hefty machine but you don't pull an injury lifting it.