Input on possible Craigslist MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iFalcon, Aug 20, 2010.

1. iFalcon macrumors regular

Good evening -

We are looking to buy our first Apple computer. The seller and I went back and forth a couple of times and last offer from him was $600. Your thoughts based on the below description?

Selling Macbook Pro, recently upgraded to a Windows Laptop for work.

Information: 4 months old purchased from the apple store and still under warranty 6 months left, take it right into the store and they fix any problem. Laptop is like brand new in perfect working condition no scratches marks or dents, well kept in case. Has box, all software, manuals, and information!

Included: Power Chord, Travel Bag, Ilife, Latest Mac OSX, and Under Warranty.

Specifications:
    2.26 ghz Intel Duo Core
    2GB DDR3 Ram
    160GB 5400 RPM HD
    13.3" LED Backlit Glossy
    Nvidia Geforce 9400M
    Built-in Isight Camera
    DVD-RW/CD-R Drive
    Digital Audio Speakers
    Back-lit ambient Keyboard
    Pre-installed MAC OS X I-life

2. Surely Guest

Surely

That's a very good deal, but seems too good to be true.

Stolen, perhaps?

If it checks out, I'd buy it. It's a great machine....

3. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

He bought it out local apple store and even provided a image of the receipt. We are just looking for something to use at home for email, web surfing, office 2010.

Our kids are getting bigger and using the main desktop.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Seems like a mid-2009 13" to me, I could be wrong though. Those sell for $930 refurb from apple. $600 sounds like a good deal and legitimate.

5. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

The concern is only 2G of RAM. Not sure what it would costs for another 2G.

6. EmeraldICE macrumors member

If they live close to you I would go ask to see it in person before buying it, and then I would test it and make sure he's not lying about the components. Otherwise ask for photos or a video for proof. If they don't want to give proof or don't want to "go through the trouble" of providing proof, then they are most likely fake.
    Ask him what year it is. Could be a refurb.

7. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

He said and the receipt shows it was purchased at our local Apple Store. Unless I'm mistaken, they only sell new products.

Good thoughts on the other things. Wait...he did provide picture on his listing.

Attached Files:

8. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

Most likely it is not stolen as it comes with the original packaging and charger and everything. Most thieves wouldn't be able to locate everything including the box...

9. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

If I were you, I wouldn't buy it unless I would be able to see it in person.

10. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

He lives about 15 miles. We'd meet in a public place and would look at it first.

11. EmeraldICE macrumors member

Hmmm.
    I say go for it. You might end up getting a pretty sweet deal. :D

12. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

I work in Law Enforcement. If it's me, I contact my local police department or sheriff's office and have them check the serial number to make sure it's not stolen.

If it is stolen and you buy it, worst case you're going to get arrested for stolen property. Best case, the police will confiscate it and you're out $600.

In my experience and with my agency, Craigslist scams and stolen property on the website are an epidemic.

This is just my opinion of course. Usually when it sounds too good to be true it is.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

This MBP is capable of much more than what you listed above. It's a great machine.

You would have to buy 4 GB of RAM.... you can't just add to the existing 2 GB. It's cheap though..... under $100.

Update us if you buy it....

14. happy2gomac macrumors newbie

I sell high end items all of the time on CL. And buy high end items. My suggestion to you is to meet the seller at an Apple store and see if the warranty is valid. They can easily look it up. IF the item is stolen, I highly doubt the seller will even bother meeting you at an Apple store. The second option is meet at a coffee shop. Starbuck's is now famous for CL transactions. Go EARLY of course. And sit as far from the door as possible. AND mention during the negotiations that you have a friend in law enforcement that will hang around outside while you are making your purchase. If they are legitimate, they will have no issues. If they are not, they probably won't even respond. This could be a great deal for you. Be safe and smart. CL is great to sell and buy, you just have to be careful. Good luck!

15. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Definitely ask to meet him at an apple store. I have asked before and if you setup a genius appointment in advance, they will go over everything with you to make sure it all turns up good.

16. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Wow lots of paranoid posts. Have the seller provide you with the serial number and look it up on Apple's site. You'll be able to tell if it is still covered by APLCARE. Meeting in a public place and having some hands on time to make sure it doesn't have dead pixels, has the stats stated, etc. is a must. Why it was purchased 4 months ago and only has 6 months of APLCARE is a mystery to me though (there are 12 months in the year right?).

17. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Specifications:
    2.26 ghz Intel Duo Core
    2GB DDR3 Ram
    160GB 5400 RPM HD
    13.3" LED Backlit Glossy
    Nvidia Geforce 9400M
    Built-in Isight Camera
    DVD-RW/CD-R Drive
    Digital Audio Speakers
    Back-lit ambient Keyboard
    Pre-installed MAC OS X I-life

From the specs it is a mid 2009 MBP. 600 is a good deal. Meet in the apple store if possible.

18. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I just sold my 3.5 year old plastic MacBook for $580 on Craigslist, so I'd say that $600 for a months-old MBP is a great deal.

19. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Craig's List is an American icon. This could be part of an Al Qaeda plot to knock off Craig's List and strike a blow against America.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Dig a deep hole in your back yard. Climb inside with canned food that will last you a year. Bring a port-a-potty. And bring a charged cell phone.

After you're all tucked in to your new -SAFE!- home, call Homeland Security, and just to be sure, the FBI and CIA, in case they're "not sharing information".

Then sit tight and wait.
    --

20. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

If you are able to meet in person and test the computer, I feel that is a more than fair deal!

21. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Hey.. Let us know what you end up choosing to do..

I have had a couple macs, and at the moment money was tighter than I had hoped, so i just bought a macbook air from craigslist. Its only a few months old and I just met the guy and tested it out.

If youre new to macs, I hope you like it. Just go though and test as much as you can. And since its still got warranty, you can get anything fixed.
    I recommend adding the Applecare plan to it, and getting another 2 years. Its worth it.