Input on Series 2 vs. Series 3 Stainless

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bigdog5142, May 7, 2018.

1. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I'm looking for some advice/input about the major differences between the Series 2 and Series 3 watch.

I currently own a Series 0 SS and am ready for an upgrade. I have been looking at both the Series 2 and 3 watch and am wondering the biggest differences. I want to stay with the SS line for the sapphire glass. I hav owned my Series 0 since launch day and have NO scratches and have never had a screen protector on it. LOVE that!

Anyway...I could purchase a Series 2 used (Swappa) for around $300-350. The Series 3 is $600 (open box Best Buy). I like the idea of a cellular option, but am almost SURE I won't need it except for on a rare occasion. I also like the idea of the newest watch since I'll probably keep this one for three years as well. I suppose the Qi charging standard is a bonus...is the 3 brighter than the 2?

Does anyone have a Series 3 that they just don't use the cellular on? I assume the watch will act as normal if I don't connect it to my carrier. I'd get the GPS version...but that's not available in SS.

As you can tell, I'm leaning toward the Series 3 for many reasons...but also consider the Series 2 as a great upgrade from Series 0. I'd appreciate any input from those that have experience with the 2 or 3. Thanks for the help!

2. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

I had the S2 SS and changed to an aluminum S3 with cellular. S2 was a big leap from the S0, but the S3 is the first watch that seems quick enough to routinely use Siri and other functions on. I would definitely go with the S3 over S2. For my job I am on call 2 weeks of the month so it is nice to always be connected when I go for a run and don't want to bring my phone along. Cellular is just a personal use case for whether or not it is worth it. I will say, it is really neat to be out running with just my AirPods and Watch and be able to receive notifications and calls.

3. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Series 3 is pretty much a go-to choice here most of the time. Cellular is a bonus but definitely not essential. It’s the speed and 16GB that sold me. Now I have 8GB of lossless music on my watch for listening. Fantastic. Cellular is also handy when I just don’t want to bring my phone to do stuff.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Personally would opt for the Series 3. Being that you don’t upgrade very often, I think you would find more longevity with the Series 3 with the faster dual core processor, which seemingly has a stronger effect for the battery lasting longer by many reports, it does have audible Siri voice feedback, GPS, ect. The display brightness is 1000 nits, which is both the same for Series 2 and Series 3.

If you purchased the cellular version of the Apple Watch, you don’t have to activate LTE if you do not want to, which can be activated on a later date if you so choose. With watchOS updates, obviously the Series 3 will be supported longer than the Series 2 will be as well.

5. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Thanks for the input. I decided to go with an open box Series 3 Space Black Stainless. LOVE the thing. Will use the three months free on AT&T to see if I'll use the cellular.