Input on this new setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Burtonsnow9, May 20, 2008.

1. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

Ok, so I'm going to be buying a bunch of stuff for my new Macbook Pro soon and i want to see if anyone has some input on it.

I'm going to be getting:

-Rain Design MStand
    -Either apple wired or wireless keyboard (really beneficial to spend extra 30 if i don't need the convenience of wireless?)
    -a logitech or Mircosoft mouse
    -at least a 4 port usb hub with external power supply(any ideas on this guys?)
    -dell S199WFP or UltraSharp 1908WFP monitor (really worth the extra $ for the ultrasharp?)

What do you guys think about this? any input would be great!

2. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

come on, I know someone has some input on this setup

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I say don't get a Dell monitor and look at those from Samsung instead. They are awesome. USB hubs really are USB hubs, get one that's cheap and don't really bother with brand names, it doesn't make much difference.

That's all I have to say.

4. Entourage12 macrumors member

I'm not sure about the Samsung models but the Dell Ultrasharps normally come with about 4 USB ports on them, unless you need a USB hub in addition to that.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The M-Stand is a good choice, but you may want to invest in the iLap, allows for more uses and you may not need/want that much extra height knowing that you are going to have an external

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

i love the wireless keyboard, if you dont mind not having the numeric keypad then go for the wireless, one less wire cluttering your desk and you never know when youre going to need the wireless freedom.

I am puzzled as to why you are buying and Mstand and an external monitor?

7. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

That iLap does look pretty neat as well, so i'll definitely keep that in mind. Do you have one or have any experience with one?

yea i just dont know if i can justify the extra money for the wireless one with everything else i'm trying to buy. and the monitor is more of something that i may be getting later on and even still when i was searching through some of the forums, i thought these setups using the mStand were pretty cool

Attached Files:

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Right now I'm not using a stand and an external monitor but it sure works for me. I use the griffin elevator and an acer al2223w (22" monitor). I like using both monitors sometimes or I can just dim the notebook screen. Personally, I think the mstand will eventually scuff the notebook (in the front by the latch).

9. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

how much was that acer monitor?
    and yea thats a good point about scuffing the MBP but I guess I could always just stick some soft bumpers on that part.

Has anyone actually had this scuffing happen to them using the mStand?

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use the iLap and the mStand, it's kind of a personal preference, but the iLap is definately the better of the two values

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    My set up is a 2.2 GHZ BMB on a 36" Anthro Cart, with a 20" Dell Ultra Sharp mounted on a ERGOTRON 24" adjustable arm
    The Dell Ultra-sharp are sweet monitors

12. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I am using the 17" MBP hooked up to a 23" ACD. The MBP is on an iLap with the front cushion thing removed. I also am using the wireless keyboard and wireless mouse since both are bluetooth and that way don't take up any ports. This setup works very well for me.

13. Burtonsnow9 thread starter macrumors regular

so does the front cusion stay on well because from the pictures it looks like it would slip right off

by the way, do the dell monitors have matte screens or glossy screens?

14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The iLap front cushion connects with velcro and stays on quite nicely; it's meant to be used in place while you're using the machine on your lap (hence the name!) but also they recommend that it be removed when using the machine on a desktop, table or other work surface.