Inputs on Partitioning 640GB Internal HD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xymoza, Dec 7, 2010.

1. xymoza macrumors newbie

Guys I need your inputs regarding this: I upgraded the HD of my MB (late 2008) to 640GB. I currently have 2 Partitions, System and Data. The only reason why I did this is because I have 2 250GB external HD and I always want to have I cloned copy of my System and Data Partitions. Now, Im planning to get a 1.5T external HD drive, is it a good idea to just have a single partition on my MB and clone it on the one of the partitions on 1.5T HD? will it slow down my system?

btw, I am running SL 10.6.4 with 4G of RAM if this is a factor.

2. UnbornApple macrumors regular

UnbornApple

Once you get the 1.5TB drive why not just run time machine on that drive?

I know there are lots of horror stories out there about time machine, but create a manual backup of the important stuff, then run time machine. That way you have two backups on one drive.

3. xymoza thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not actually planning to use TM. My plan is to divide the 1.5T into two partitions. one for Cloning 640G in my system and the other one is for other data files.

My concern is how will a single partition 640G Drive will affect the performance of my macbook, will it slow down during my regular use or it will just be the same. and how much free space do I need to keep to keep it running smoothly. The first thing I noticed when I first installed the 640G drive is that it took a lil while during bootup, which is fine with me.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Partitioning doesn't increase performance. I've never got the point of having many partitions unless you need different file system or OSs. Try to have 10-20% of free space so it shouldn't slow down. Single partition is definitely the easiest choice

5. xymoza thread starter macrumors newbie

the reason why I partitioned my 640G is because I only have two 250G external. Partitioning will allow me to clone the system drive as well as the data drive.

its good to know that having the whole 640G drive will not affect its performance and I will keep in mind to always have 10-20% free space. Thanks.