INS and external damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chimaobi, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Chimaobi macrumors newbie

Hello all.

I encountered the frightening Invalid Node Structure error while running disk repair/verification and such, and have a question in that regard.

Model: MBP, early 09 running Snow Leopard.

For those not interested in reading the truncated story, I'll paste my question here:

My question is this; can physical damage cause this kind of error (INS) on a disk? The dicussions I've seen around here is that INS might be a 'luck of the draw' type of thing and that it might have been the disk that was faulty from the go (i.e. it was a matter of time), or possibly RAM issues or whatnot. Informed opinions on this are welcome.

---

My MBP was perfectly fine for more than a year, when suddenly two nights ago it started lagging and hanging quite a lot. I haven't encountered a lot of hanging (meaning that the os will just freeze when doing something simple, like cmd+tab or the like) but this particular evening the rainbow circle (lol) was spamming me so I understood that a disk- and permission verification was in order. After booting from mac osx cd and getting a 'fixing catalog tree B' or something message while running DU, there was no more progress over night... panic.

Will save the dramatic storytelling for another time. It will suffice to say that Disk Utility cannot fix this problem (as I understand it is too grave), when I try to start the MBP now it gives me a progress bar under the apple logo and freezes on the first centimeter of it and Disk Warrior failed to boot so I'm currently using Drive Genius (running for 2 days straight, 1 day left) to repair the sectors.

I went to the local AppleStore and after they were done talking to some guy (guess it was a genius) in the back they just told me to buy a new disk saying that a dent on my MAC is the reason for this error and Applecare won't cover it.

Although I am no techwiz, I was sceptical but bought a new disk anyway since they said it cannot be saved and it is essentially my fault this error has occurred. I asked some questions to verify this claim; for if physical damage is the reason I assume we could actually see the disk and where it has damage, or if the dent is the cause we could pop open the MBP and check out the disk. I just wanted them to substantiate the claim since I had heard otherwise on numerous boards. Naturally, he gave me a lot of ifs and maybe's - which is fine. I left and went home to try and save what I hadn't backed up (still in progress).

Again: My question is this; can physical damage cause this kind of error (INS) on a disk? The dicussions I've seen around here is that INS might be a 'luck of the draw' type of thing and that it might have been the disk that was faulty from the go (i.e. it was a matter of time).

The dent is undramatic, but is atop the area where the hd is. But this small, IMO insignificant dent that you can only see under certain lighting or at an angle was caused over 365 days ago...

Input anyone?

Thanks in advance,

* SCA

2. Chimaobi thread starter macrumors newbie

bump

Bumping in case someone has anything to say on this.

Giving up if not. Thanks in advance.

- SCA

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G