Insalling a different OS on my FW Ext.HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

For the moment I have my OS back up (10.3.9 )cloned to an ext FW HD.
    I have a 10.4 install or unpgrade disc ( not sure which, nor if the disc is any good and would prefer not to risk screwing up my int.HD)
    Sooooo ! Could I install Tiger directly to my ext.HD... thus being able to use the two systems depending on where I boot from.( if the install works?)
    Asking this because I'm not sure if I have enough free space on my Int HD ( 7GB) to do an Install and Archive, where as on my Ext HD I have about 11GB free space on the partition. Then if it all works could I CCC it back to my Int.HD ??
    If this is possible how do I do it ?
    Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes.

Insert disk, select drive, click install.

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks....
    Would I have to reboot onto my back up ext.HD first, or do i have the choice of target disc after I click on "Install" from the desk top of my Int HD.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No, and yes. It doesn't matter in your case since you'll get the option to choose where to install the OS when you boot from the install disc.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Yes, you can install 10.4 to an external disk, leaving your internal disk untouched.

Actually, it's probably best to do it this way.

Just boot from the install CD, and when the installer presents you with a screen asking WHERE you want the install to go, choose the external.

After the install is done, just boot from the external and go through the "initial registration" process to create a new account for yourself on the external.

At this point, you will have to decide whether you want to "migrate" your old account to the new account, or leave it "as is" (that is, bring your stuff over manually).

Don't quote me on this, but I _think_ that the Migration Assistant application in OS 10.4 can be run "later", if you wish. That means you could create a "temp" account for testing, and at some later date migrate your _real_ account over.

You'll also need to update to 10.4.11. I believe there is a "combo updater" you can download, that will take you "all the way" up to 10.4.11 in one install.

After everything is updated and running the way you like, and all the files you want to keep have been moved over, THEN it's time to think about cloning the external 10.4.11 back to the internal drive. CarbonCopyCloner should do just what you need to do.

6. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Neither. It will, by default, UPGRADE your Panther installation.

8. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

One last question.... Once I get Tiger up and running correctly on my Ex. HD
    When I eventually try to CCC it back to my Int. HD will that automatically replace my original Panther OS or what ? I have a few problems with free space on my Int HD (ie. only 7GB)
    Thanks.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, Panther will be overwritten with Tiger.

10. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm ! One small problem. I clic on "Install" when my Tiger Disc comes up on the desk top and then I get "reboot." I clic on that and my Mac rumbles and wirrs and click's for 3 minutes then I briefly get a blue screen with a folder with a question mark... then it boots up onto my Old Panther OS again.... Tired it twice, Tried it also through 'boot' in the preference system selecting the Install disc and rebooting...
    same sh**.... What could be the problem, and is there a way to 'fix' it.
    Thanks

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Several things could be happening here.

First thing to check: Is the disc dirty or scratched?
    Second thing to check: Can you use other discs normally?
    Third thing to check (if the first two checks don't identify something wrong): Hold down Option (Alt on some keyboards) when the computer boots. Insert the Mac OS X install disc, if it isn't already in. The boot screen should come up. Does it identify the disc as bootable?

12. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

The disc seems to be physically ok. I assume that booting with Alt is the same as " Boot" in the preference system. as all my bootable disc show up there... Main HD plus back in Ext HD + Classic in both of these.
    The Tiger install disc also shows up there when its in the DVD player.
    But when I selection it and reboot I get a white screen then a blue screen with a question marked folder that rapidly changes to a Mac finder Smile.
    Then it starts to boot... gets hung up on "waiting for disc" and finally boots on my old Panther OS..... seem like the Tiger install is slow to boot and my computer gets pissed off waiting and boots the old system.... I've noticed that when I put it in the DVD player it takes about 2 or3 minutes of huffing and puffing before it finally shows up on my desk top...maybe a bum Disc?
    Any Idea's welcome

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You might have a dirty optical drive, then. Fortunately, this problem isn't that difficult to fix. There are optical drive cleaning kits available that come with a special disc you put into the offending drive - spinning that disc in the drive (which the drive won't be able to read) cleans it.

14. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Nope ! I tried that.... All my other stuff works CD's CD ROM DVD... Just this Damn Tiger Install takes a loooooong time to show up on the desk.
    Probably just a bad copy... thanks