Insane Office Activation Story

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wvmb, Aug 22, 2012.

1. wvmb macrumors newbie

Something that seems insane to me, has anyone else heard of this:

I recently had to use microsoft's phone activation system for Office 2011 Business edition as I had bought a new computer and it wouldn't let me activate through the net. This edition allows 3 activations and concurrent usage on a desktop and laptop, but since I have replaced both machines I was now on my 4th attempt to activate.

Anyways, after several attempts to get past the automated system (which kept just saying goodbye and hanging up on me after I had provided all the info, without telling me why), I finally figured out how to get a person. This poor sap from India gets on (btw, I'm not one to disparage Indian phone support, my worst experiences by far are with American support people), and tries to figure out what's going on. Finally we get to the root of the problem (4th activation), and he says he can fix it but first he has to warn me of something: According to him (as near as I could tell through the language issue, we were having some trouble with comprehension) Mac Office 2011 users on their 4th activation have experienced some degradation in quality of documents produced by the software, such as washed out colors in Powerpoint or problems reading Excel documents. I told him that makes no sense, but he insisted it was a documented issue. He eventually got my activation working, but I'm wondering... Could be a few issues here:
    1. Somebody just messing with me.
    2. Microsoft has given instructions to try to impeded or otherwise make people hesitant to go beyond the three activations. I'm sure lots try for less than legal reasons.
    3. Microsoft really has done something like this with their software. I know, conspiracy theory stuff, but this is Microsoft, look at their history.

Has anyone else ever heard of this craziness?? So far, Office documents seem fine.

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It wouldn't surprise me if some companies introduced certain bugs which would only manifest themselves in cases where (suspected) software piracy was involved. As such, it would be a good way of getting people to unwittingly reveal if they have a legal copy of the software. <cynical person mode>

3. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I wouldn't worry about it. I had the same experience (minus the dire warnings) and have had no trouble with Excel. I don't use Powerpoint, so I can't comment there.

That auto hangup with no explanation is so very lame. I chased that a couple of times, figuring that I'd made an error. Nope.

Anyway, I jumped the same hoops you did, last fall, and have had no problems at all.