Insane runaway CPU usage when mounting NAS drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Anuba, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Hey all...

I have this NAS drive (a 1 TB QNAP TS-209 Pro) where I keep most of my files, so I want to auto-mount two shares on that drive upon login.

In Windows, it was a set-and-forget type thing. In OS X it was a little harder, I eventually got there by disabling the firewall (sigh) and placing the NAS shares under Login Items and checking "Hide".

This works fine on my old Mac Mini and my iMac, but on my new MBP I get some really crazy stuff. Two processes called "coreservicesd" and "System Services" (under the parent "launchd") are taking up 40-50% CPU each. This goes on for 10 minutes before it settles down, by which time some 10-15% have been drained from the battery (on login the estimate is 2 hours left on a fully charged MBP 17"... it jumps to 5-6 hours as soon as the CPU insanity stops).

If I unmount the drive, the CPU hogging stops immediately. I can then re-mount it without getting the crazy CPU load phenomenon. I can also remove it from Login Items and mount manually through Finder with no problems. As soon as I place it under Login Items again, CPU usage shoots up to 40-50% again, this time System Preferences is listed as the culprit.

Any ideas why the CPU is going berserk from connecting to a simple network drive via smb, and only when the volumes are included in Login Items? The problem is specific to this week-old computer, so let's not blame the NAS drive just yet.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

I suppose it is... the NAS drive is kind of agnostic, it will do Samba, AppleTalk and Windows, but it says SMB when I use Get Info. It's the same (SMB) on my other Macs where this problem doesn't occur.