Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rochow

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
fFor example I go for a bath and put my phone on the toilet (as I did my 6s).

It's got a slight curve on the top.

Within a few notifications it will vibrate itself 15cm from the centre and end up on the floor consistently. It doesn't just vibrate in place it moves itself across surfaces which is a huge pain.

Anyone else?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
fFor example I go for a bath and put my phone on the toilet (as I did my 6s).

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully you have Applecare.

Within a few notifications it will vibrate itself 15cm from the centre and end up on the floor consistently. It doesn't just vibrate in place it moves itself across surfaces which is a huge pain.

Anyone else?

If the phone is sitting on a plastic surface, the vibration from the haptic engine is likely resonating from the iPhone to whatever its sitting on, causing it to vibrate and move at the same time.

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Perhaps purchase a dock for your toilet so the phone won’t have chance to move about when the haptic engine goes off.

Or leave it on the floor in the first place (away from the bath)

Reactions: Newtons Apple

rochow

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
This has also happened on the kitchen bench, managed to notice it. Seems I can't put it anywhere else an edge as it'll throw itself off eventually. Is it just mine? I might have to get a sticky type case

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This has also happened on the kitchen bench, managed to notice it. Seems I can't put it anywhere else an edge as it'll throw itself off eventually. Is it just mine? I might have to get a sticky type case
I had a 5s that did that even without vibrating. It would slowly slide across counters. I guess my floors and counters weren’t perfectly level. My iPhone 4 slipped off of counters too. I didn’t always use cases back then. It’s a miracle it never shattered.

I started getting serious about cases when I got my 6 Plus which I just couldn’t seem to keep a grip on.

Yes all of these phones “walk” themselves off of slippery surfaces. Get a case or use one of those grippy mats used to open jars and set it on that.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Do you not have a case on it now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.