Insanely high prices for OS X 10.4 on eBay - WHY??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Harp3r1108, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Harp3r1108 macrumors newbie

A month ago to my surprise I sold an unopened copy of OS X Tiger 10.4.3 on eBay for $178, quite a bit above retail. Today a search of completed listings for the month showed continuing high sales at prices even above that (one topped $200). One fellow (whose bidding history I checked while my auction was going on) had purchased numerous copies, one after another, all way above retail. Any idea why people are paying prices like these?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Higher prices on Tiger?

I should sell my unlimited license Tiger Server, then. I'm not getting much use out of it.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Demand. For many apps, it's the minimum OS to run on and yet many older Macs, of which there are plenty out there, can't run Leopard. I was also surprised to see how much I got for my copy of Tiger at the time. The sale provoked a mini bidding war.

4. Harp3r1108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why don't they just buy it on Amazon.com for $125 instead of $200 on eBay? That's what I don't get. But yes, if you have a legal copy that the buyer can license, check out eBay's listings and especially the completed listings. This is an amazing time to sell!