Insanely slow internet speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sun Salute, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Sun Salute macrumors newbie

Hi!
    Not sure where to write this, but the download speed on my 2016 13'' nTB Macbook Pro got so low that now it's almost unusable. I was recently downloading an app called purevpn, which is around 17 MB in size. On my windows desktop and laptop, it took around 10 seconds as usual. On the Mac however (which is connected to the same wifi network) I tried downloading it around 5 times and every single one of them failed, as after downloading 0.5 MB at most the speed just dropped to zero and stayed there.

Moreover, the torrents in transmission download at 100 KB/s at most, whereas both windows machines easily reach 2MB/s. Chrome pages that open almost instantaneously on windows take around 10 seconds to open here.

Do you have any ideas of what is wrong with the Macbook and how it can be fixed? I've tried a reinstallation of the Sierra OS, but it didn't seem to have resulted in anything.

Thanks!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Restart the router. Ensure your OS is fully up to date. Change router wireless encryption to WPA2-PSK (may be called WPA2-AES) only. No mixed/legacy mode.

Reset PRAM/SMC. Restart Mac with reopen windows when logging back in unticked.

Any better?

3. Sun Salute thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, fixed it! It was removing the wifi preferences in SystemConfiguration and restarting the router. Thanks for the help anyway :)