Insanely slow transfer rates over wifi and ethernet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enklined, Jul 9, 2008.

1. enklined macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm getting 2 MB/s when transferring 1.2gigs worth of data (or even 30 gigs) over Wifi on my MBP to my PC or NAS.

I'm using a Linksys Wireless G, sitting right next to the router.

I also plugged my MBP directly into my router and only get 9 MB/s.

Whats the deal here? Anyone know a fix?

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

You can't expect to achieve the theoretical maximum 100Mbit speed. It's never the full speed.

check this out

3. NintendoFan macrumors regular

9 MB/s is actually very good for 100Mbit. If you're looking for higher transfer rates you may want to start looking at Gbit routers/switches.

4. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

So 2 MB/s (says iStat) is normal for a WIFI transfer? That seems very...very...slow.

Gbit router eh? Any recommendations? I don't quite want to buy a Draft-N just yet...it seems they all have a fair amount of problems, heh.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

To simplify, this (wireless data speed) works on the inverse square law idea where physical quantity or strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity.

Glassing over? Think of this way: An object twice as far away receives only 1/4 of the original intensity, which in this case means speed/signal strength. If you're right near the router, you'll get much better data transfer speed than if you were, say, 10 feet away.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

we have an airport extreme with draft N. works pretty well imo.

7. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

My TC gives me 50Mb/s when copying to its Drive connected via Ethernet, and 30 Mb/s over Wifi

8. portent macrumors 6502a

At At 2MB/sec, you're getting 16Mbit/sec, which is not unreasonable for a wireless connection. Especially if you're in a crowded area with lots of interference from other wireless networks, cell phones, or other devices.

Your wired connection, at 72MBit/sec, is over 70% the theoretical maximum speed of 100Mbit ethernet. Which is really good in the real world..

That really has very little to do with anything. Signal strength is not directly related to transfer speed. I can't recite the Declaration of Independence any faster if I shout than if I whisper. It only makes a difference if there is a lot of noise (interference) that needs to be overcome, or if you're at the range limit and at risk of losing the connection completely.

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Nothing wrong with that. Your theoretical max is 12.5 MB/s on the Ethernet.

I get about 1 MB/s (sometimes about 1.1) over the 10BT on this old Beige G3 (theoretical max 1.25 MB/s).... anyway, the point is that you never really exceed probably about 90% theoretical, and even that's high.

They did a speed test in MacWorld many years back (five? six? seven?) with Gigabit ethernet and it only achieved about 200 Mbps real world. It's probably a bit better than that by now, but that's still only 25 MBps.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Also, remember that if you have even one B device connected to a G router, the entire network runs at B speeds. Not sure if this is true in your case, but many people tend to over look this.

11. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

11/8 = 1.375, so probably not the issue here if he IS getting 2MB/s

who knows though.

12. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't know that, but it matters not - my router is set to "Wireless-G Only."

2MB/s is normal then, eh? Wow, it just seems so hard to believe...

I'll have to look into some other routers and such, then. 2MB/s when copying data to and from my NAS just won't cut it (well, I guess I won't be doing any large transfers after the initial setup of the NAS, so maybe I'll be good, heh.)