Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orb1692

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Isn't it insane to pay $7k+ for 32gb of ram in a mac pro? Also who wud need this much ram?i think it'd be cheaper to buy 3rd party... Frankly,why is apple's ram so overpriced?

Thanks

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Isn't it insane to pay $7k+ for 32gb of ram in a mac pro? Also who wud need this much ram?i think it'd be cheaper to buy 3rd party... Frankly,why is apple's ram so overpriced?

Thanks

Did you really just ask "who wud need this much ram?"

Really?

And not as a joke? (no, I'm not referring to the spelling)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Apple's prices on RAM are far more aggressive than in the past here in Aus. 32GB of RAM is a requirement for many people doing heavy workstation-class stuff on their Mac Pros.

orb1692

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Did you really just ask "who wud need this much ram?"

Really?

And not as a joke? (no, I'm not referring to the spelling)

i meant who wud buy it from apple when 3rd party wud be cheaper

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Aye? Just cause you can't see yourself using vast amounts of RAM doesn't mean others don't need it.
At present I have 20Gb and sometimes I wish I got more!!!!!

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
Also who wud need this much ram?
Mac Pros like that are used in serious scientific labs, universities, hospitals and etc. where a normal computer just couldn't cope. They are NOT meant for playing Tetris and Call of Duty-it could, but that would be like using a bulldozer to bury a hamster. Maybe you didn't read what you were clicking on but you selected 32GB of DDR3 RAM... What kind of applications do you think would require that much? You'll find Mac Pros like that at Boeing, NASA, etc... A normal person doesn't need a Pro.

orb1692

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
But as to not stray from wat i really wanted to kno...why is it so overpriced in general?

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
But as to not stray from wat i really wanted to kno...why is it so overpriced in general?

Can we talk about your poor use of the English language? If would, what and know take too long to spell out, may I suggest a typing class?

And don't worry, as long as you keep spelling words like that, you won't need to worry about the cost of 32GB of ram...

orb1692

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Can we talk about your poor use of the English language? If would, what and know take too long to spell out, may I suggest a typing class?

And don't worry, as long as you keep spelling words like that, you won't need to worry about the cost of 32GB of ram...

jeez thats just how i type sometimes ..when im not typing documents..i get it from my mmorpg communities...WoW(plus im using a celli atm so its conveniency..dont judge)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
thats my point where is the incentive to buy from them(im talking in general)?

Various corporations like to buy their machines complete, upgrade and ready for uses, upon arrival. Those same companies won't be worrying too much about he cost, since they'll probably buy a few complete systems with displays. If you think it's expensive.. don't buy from Apple, simple.

Go build yourself a custom PC, sounds like it's more up your road, no?

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
jeez thats just how i type sometimes ..when im not typing documents..i get it from my mmorpg communities...WoW(plus im using a celli atm so its conveniency..dont judge)

Listen man, I'm not judging you (maybe I am?), I just want you to realize most people look at that and think you're either uneducated or 13.

One of the reasons they up-charge that way is that their isn't a whole lot of profit to be made in upgrades. There is no reason for them to cut their margins on ram, HDD's etc, because they don't manufacture those items.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
If you want super cheap-o...

Build yourself a hackintosh with 96GB of RAM of DDR1 3X (1GBx32 dims)

You get this sexyness:

redneckserverfarm1.jpg

47620707.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.