Insert old HD into new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krees91, Apr 1, 2009.

1. krees91 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I had a MacBook a while back and it broke. I managed to salvage the HD and the RAM. Soon, I am going to buy another MacBook (new white plastic, nvidia series) and I was wondering if I could just remove the HD of that machine and put in the old HD from my last MacBook? Would it still work like the last one did, or would there be differences because of new hardware? Not sure about this at the moment. Thanks.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you're trying to migrate your old stuff onto the new MacBook, you'd be better off inserting your old drive into a Firewire enclosure, hook it up to the new MB via Firewire, and use Migration Assistant to move your old to the new.

If you want to use the old HD in the new machine because it's bigger or faster, you probably need to format it rather than just stick it in because of the different architecture. You can test this by hooking it to the new machine as above and try to boot from it. -GDF

3. MacGeek767 macrumors member

MacGeek767

I'd just use Migration Assist. Less time and you might have to format the new drive...