Insert Video Over Audio. Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macmonter, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Macmonter macrumors regular

Macmonter

Years ago when working with a VCR I could do a video insert over the original scene's audio tract. I can't do a video only insert edit in iMovie and the tutorial for FCE doesn't mention it. A search of this forum and Google turned up nothing. Is there a reasonably priced video editing program for Mac that does video only inserts?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

In FCE, can't you insert the video layer over the original, then just delete the audio tracks that go with it?

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Your question is kind of confusing. What exactly are you trying to do?

4. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

This make sense to me. Just delete the audio track associated with the video track and replace it with your new audio track.

5. Macmonter thread starter macrumors regular

Macmonter

Insert Video

In the past when I edited a video tape that had a linear audio track (track along tape edge - not imbedded within the video signal) I could insert a different scene over the audio; example: a video of a person describing an object and inserting a close-up of the object within the scene without interrupting the narration.

alust2013's question about FCE's ability to delete an inserted video's audio and leaving the original audio would solve the problem if true, but I'd like to know for sure before spending the money. Editing digital video is much different than my past experience of linking 2 VCR's together.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCE allows you to toggle on/off which a/v tracks from your source clip that you want to edit onto your timeline. So if your source clip has one video track and two audio tracks you can cut any track into the timeline independent of the other two and you can even assign which layer on the timeline you want the source track to end up on.

Lethal

7. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Ok, that makes more sense now. As others have pointed out it's very doable in FCE, as with pretty much any other Non-linear editor.

You'll find that there are many different ways to get the same result in these type of programs. Both Lethal and alust's solutions will work.

It certainly is, and when you give it a go you'll be amazed how much more intuitive it is.

8. Macmonter thread starter macrumors regular

Macmonter

Thank you LethalWolf! From your post it appears that FCE will fill my video editing needs.

And, thank you to handsome pete and alust for your replies.

9. gameface macrumors 6502

Don't know the control in FCE but a video and audio are linked when you apply them into a timeline in FCP. You can either have the setting unlink them or you can highlight it and "Apple+L" to unlink. Now you can delete the audio.

Also, you can lock the audio tracks so when you drop the video into the timeline, only the video goes in and the audio doesn't

You could also drop both in, and just reduce the audio of the video track all the way down so even though it is there, it is essentially muted. Or like Lethal said, you can mute individual tracks in your timeline.

You can also copy and paste audio from one quicktime to another in quicktime player. Open the audio track, select the whole thing and "Command+C". Open your video in quicktime, select the whole thing and "Command+V". This will put the new audio track into the video. I know you can do this in Quicktime 7 but not sure in quicktime X. I had to do this a couple times, where during export from FCP I got good video but glitchy audio. To save time, I rexported just the audio from FCP and added it to the video since it was the same edit.

There are a million ways to do this. Some are free, others cost money. It's very simple if you know what you are doing.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wasn't referring to muting tracks in the timeline but to 'un-patching' the incoming audio from the source clip in the Viewer so that only the video is edited into the timeline. It's kinda hard to explain but this picture should help.

If you look to the left of the timeline you'll see three little 'nubs' labeled in lowercase as "v1", "a1" and "a2". These represent the incoming audio and video tracks from the clip in the Viewer. You can move the nubs around to place the incoming A/V signals on certain tracks and you can also 'un-patch' a nub to prevent certain incoming A/V tracks from being edited onto the timeline.

So, in the picture example, the incoming video is targeted to V5 and the incoming audio is targeted to A1 and A4, but the audio is un-patched so if someone performed an edit right now the video would go to V5 but no audio would be edited onto the timeline.

[​IMG]

Lethal

11. gameface macrumors 6502

Yeah, OK, I misunderstood (I do this for a living like you). But I have no idea if that is an option in FCE. Anyway, everything I mentioned is just as easy (except for the QT insert) as your solution. Like I said, there are tons of ways to do it, and it's obvious the OP has 100% no clue.