Inserting USB causes MacBook Pro to freeze!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patronus81, Jun 3, 2014.

1. patronus81 macrumors newbie

Hey all, hoping you can help me out ASAP... At work I inserted a company USB stick with files already on it. Almost instantly my pro (2011) froze - can't move the cursor and the keyboard won't respond - and a message popped up in several languages: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again." (Attached picture - Thank god for smartphones.)
    I thought it might be a kernel panic but a quick search gives me the impression most restart messages still let you navigate your laptop so I'm worried I've downloaded something off the USB stick. Should I restart anyway?

Attached Files:

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Doesnt look like a legit system message to me, id suspect that is a Trojan effectively trying to get you to install it (unless you have already - have you just been asked for your password an entered it?). Navigate to the Apple logo and see if you can Force Quit it. (Use the hot-key sequence), if that fails I would remove the stick. If that fails I would consider booting off a backup drive and reinstalling.

If you can, wait and see if any other opinions come along.

3. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Huh? That's what the kernel panic looked like in Snow Leopard.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ah - my OSX experience started with Lion.....my last line applies - you better advise the OP

5. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

No worries.

To the OP, all I can suggest is to try the same devices in another computer if the issue does not exist somewhere else, try reinstalling. (When you do, I suggest upgrading to Mavericks.)