Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/02/18/inside_apples_ipad_multitasking.html

This pretty much sums up my position and much of what I've tried to convey in these forums over the past several weeks. It's a good read. Call it informed speculation? I especially liked the part about the dashboard widgets at the end, which I've been talking about for weeks. Where are those other iPhone icons? In the dashboard. The secret, lite-multitasking dashboard on the iPad.

Either 3.2 has some tricks up it's sleeve (less likely) or we will see this for sure in 4.0. I could seriously see Apple saving some of these goodies to show off at the iPhone OS 4.0 event in March. Along with improved services support for things like internet radio in the background, etc. Honestly I think that 70-80% of people would shut up (at least about multitasking) if they could check their email and listen to internet radio without leaving an app. Here comes the new notification system and APIs!

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I agree, and think Apple is definitely holding back a lot of features for 4.0, which will bring all of their multi-touch devices to the same software in June/July (I'm assuming for now on the iPhone OS updates will be simultaneous between their 3 devices).

I really hope they implement a universal gesture, something like sliding 4 fingers down on the screen, that brings up a customizable dashboard very similar to the one in OS X.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I agree, and think Apple is definitely holding back a lot of features for 4.0, which will bring all of their multi-touch devices to the same software in June/July (I'm assuming for now on the iPhone OS updates will be simultaneous between their 3 devices).

I really hope they implement a universal gesture, something like sliding 4 fingers down on the screen, that brings up a customizable dashboard very similar to the one in OS X.

I suggested (in previous threads) the idea of multifinger gestures and was shot down by a few who stated that was "too complicated" for the iPad "audience" to learn/figure out. Which I find laughable. Good to see someone else doesn't need to condescend to the average iPad user and their intelligence level.

That aside - what "bothers" me about new introductions into the OS is that people have wanted certain things for a few years now. And when/if Apple decides to include it - they will act as if they invented the idea.

Case in point - Cut and Paste. The way Apple "unveiled" the concept at the Keynote made it seem like no device had every had it. No one had ever thought of such a concept. Etc... etc. I don't call that innovation or even (at that point) responding to consumers - all though it is. I call that catching up to where you should have been at least a year back.

That being said - I welcome all new updates and look forward to them. I especially hope 4.0 comes with integrated email accounts, the ability to delete more than one message at a time by clicking the first and last message you want to delete instead of having to check each one, and some other things that have irked me since I made the switch from BB a year ago.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I really want an iPad and I think I could get rid of my much-hated iPhone if I had one. But without multi-tasking on third party apps, the iPad is so much less desirable!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Thanks for your erudite post. What users? Don't care about what?

Do you actually have anything to add to the conversation?

Users don't care about multitasking. By users, I mean people not on these forums, meaning the vast majority of consumers.

The user doesn't care about multitasking. The small existing market of technically-savvy people do, but the majority of users switch between tasks without any regard to applications. They're entirely happy to jump between their email client and web browser and ebook reader software without caring whether they're launching and quitting them. Indeed, to most people, switching between apps is launching and quitting them.

There are indeed cases where there's a real advantage to keeping things running in the background, say to obtain notifications of new instant messages or twitter updates; the iPad can do those things via other means like push-notification systems. The OS itself is fully multitasking-capable, and indeed many system process are running simultaneously at all times, so it’s possible we’ll see third-party background applications in future. The complaint about "lack" of multitasking is a false limitation which is meaningless to the majority of the potential market. Conversely, the benefits of improved stability and extended battery life are very real.

Try to think outside the Apple forum bubble.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Users don't care about multitasking. By users, I mean people not on these forums, meaning the vast majority of consumers.

In the 70's nobody besides scientists cared about computers so... :confused:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Try to think outside the Apple forum bubble.

Perhaps you should stop insulting the intelligence of the public and/or assuming what they know and what they don't know.

They *might* not know what true multitasking is - but they can and will know that they can't do two things at once like stream their music from Pandora while writing an email. Or have two apps open on the same screen (IE an IM client and email). Do they "know" about multitasking? Maybe not - but they do care whether they know the term or not.

Just like the flash "issue". The argument is flash sucks, buggy, etc. The general public doesn't care whether or not the iPad is a superior device if it can't access the sites they want to. All they'll know is that the sites they go to (after being "promised" of the best web experience) won't work.

They won't care why - they will simply know that their device can't do it.

So don't pretend to speak for the masses - especially since you aren't one of them. And especially, since, based on your profile, Apple is infallible. Your bias shows in each and every post.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Users don't care.

I care and so don't many other users. Hence the large volume of multitasking posts here and in the iPhone forums. Plus if people did not care, other phone makers like android and palm would not be pointing out that there phones do multitask.

Before posting an ignorant post that has no thought behind it, consider that not everyone drinks the apple kool aid and doesn't except everything apple does as gospel.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I care and so don't many other users. Hence the large volume of multitasking posts here and in the iPhone forums.

MacRumors and Apple forums are hardly reflections of reality!

Think outside the Apple forum bubble.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I'm in the market for something that I can give Live Support customer service from our website while I'm on the move as well as being able to get some work done at the same time. If the device can't multitask, that means I can't receive alerts as I can't have the browser for the support site open while I'm working.

It's not just about preference for many of us, it's a feature that renders the device useless to us. And that's just one example.

The thing about multi-tasking is, is that if the device has it, the people who don't require multitasking are happy anyway, and so are the people who need it. But as it stands, a group of people who require multitasking on a device on the move are excluded if they're looking for a Mac solution.

Currently the MBA is the best option, but it's a little large for a truly portable accessory - some people even use it as their primary due to it's size.

We really need multi tasking, and lite versions of popular software for the iPad to be something that will boost productivity for a lot of us. We already have an entertainment device, the iPod Touch, which is why we have a lot of disappointed Mac users who use Macs for productivity primarily.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Think outside blind Apple Worship.

When Apple doesn't roll out the best products in each category, maybe I'l have a reason to stop being so laudatory of Apple.

Face it: the only company that actually knows what they're doing in this industry is Apple. It's been like this for the past decade.

In terms of "slate" computing, on the one hand we've got a complete, beautiful, usable product from Apple supported by publishers and and ocean of developers, with a definite roadmap for quite literally changing the way we use computers.

On the other hand, we've got an ocean of tablet/slate devices running some awful full version of Windows or some experimental Linux OS, each of which is barely distinguishable from the other, and which will ultimately morph into some copycat version of the iPad.

This is how the tech industry outside of Apple works in 2010. There is an absolutely colossal lack of vision and imagination in the rest of this half-asleep industry, and these other also-rans are about to find out just how much of a deficit there is come March/April.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When Apple doesn't roll out the best products in each category, maybe I'l have a reason to stop being so laudatory of Apple.
*Cough* G4 cube, apple tv, and quite possibly the ipad *Cough*

Face it, they're a multi-billion dollar corporation that is interested in one thing. Making money. Not a bad thing but not one worthy of being worshipped.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Face it, they're a multi-billion dollar corporation that is interested in one thing. Making money. Not a bad thing but not one worthy of being worshipped.

If that list is the best you can do (the iPad obviously doesn't belong there), then Apple has absolutely nothing to worry about.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple has had great success. Their marketing is even better.

Who else could make "cut and paste" look like a "revolutionary" new feature

Seriously LTD - with each post in this thread, you only solidify your "cultist" status.

I have several Apple products. I like them. I also have and had no problems with PCs or other devices from other manufactures.

I can appreciate Apple products. But at no point would I say that the marketplace lives or dies with Apple.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If that list is the best you can do (the iPad obviously doesn't belong there), then Apple has absolutely nothing to worry about.

They also had a camera that failed, a game console that failed, the newton that failed. I just highlighted a couple of items initially that failed.

i can also mentioned the many failed attempts to rewrite the Mac OS (before osx) or the the whole clone debacle or some of their initial laptop offerings.

Do you want me to continue?

Apple is not perfect, they produce some great hardware/software but again not worthy of worship or blind following that impacts peoples common sense and or wisdom which is quite evident in your various fanboy posts.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
By the way - has anyone noticed the smoke and mirrors going on?

LTD has shifted the discussion away from the point of the thread and the discussion of Multitasking to nothing more than a thread about how awesome Apple is.

"Awesome" or not - I don't need you, LTD or Apple to dictate what I need and what I don't need if they want me to purchase their products.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
By the way - has anyone noticed the smoke and mirrors going on?

LTD has shifted the discussion away from the point of the thread and the discussion of Multitasking to nothing more than a thread about how awesome Apple is.

"Awesome" or not - I don't need you, LTD or Apple to dictate what I need and what I don't need if they want me to purchase their products.

You don't need me to dictate to you that's for sure. But Apple *does* dictate to you because it's their product. You have a choice to buy into it or not. But I fail to see how crying "I'm not getting" one in about seven different ways will be of any use to you on an Apple fansite. But by all means, have at it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You don't need me to dictate to you that's for sure. But Apple *does* dictate to you because it's their product. You have a choice to buy into it or not. But I fail to see how crying "I'm not getting" one in about seven different ways will be of any use to you on an Apple fansite. But by all means, have at it.

Crying? LOL No.

And is this an Apple "fan" site or is that your interpretation. I see it as an Apple News/Rumors website that has a discussion board. In fact it's a Mac Community Discussion Forum" Perhaps you just want to stay in your Mac Bubble and relegate that to mean it's just for Fans. Or rather - only happy shiny thoughts should appear.

Again you're missing the point and subject of this thread in order to share your limited view of how wonderful Apple and their products are instead of admitting that perhaps - just perhaps - there are shortcomings that people do, indeed want.

But I expect nothing less.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Who else could make "cut and paste" look like a "revolutionary" new feature
My take from that keynote was that Apple was particularly pleased with their particular implementation of the feature. They spun it a bit too much for my personal taste, but their implementation of the feature did have some unique things.

Out of curiosity, what are you comparing the AppleTV to to determine its "flop" status?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Seriously LTD - with each post in this thread, you only solidify your "cultist" status.

Of course! I don't try to hide it. Any serious Apple fan in 2010 is perfectly justified in their position. It's happening because the competition's offerings tend to absolutely suck. Year after year, it's just one copycat device after another, with no one able to match Apple's design, interface, integration, you name it.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
Of course! I don't try to hide it. Any serious Apple fan in 2010 is perfectly justified in their position. It's happening because the competition's offerings tend to absolutely suck. Year after year, it's just one copycat device after another, with no one able to match Apple's design, interface, integration, you name it.

"Justified"?? LOL! ONLY in your mind. You are the epitome (not in a good way) of an Apple fanboi. According to you, no other mfgr produces any good products in the categories that Apple makes. Right...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.