Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barm

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
Amsterdam
Well, that's never going to happen. Because when these historical buildings were built you're ancestors were still living in Europe and ''The New World'' (USA) wasn't even colonized yet.
I get your point, so here's a slightly ironic note: the Grand Central Terminal is about as old as the Hirsch building (the building the Amsterdam Apple store is in), save for a year or so (around 1912).

I really like what they did with the store though. Better than its previous inhabitant:
at-abn-amro-bank-abn-amro.jpg

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Beautiful store!

Even if you order online, there may be times you need to visit a store (e.g. help at Genius Bar), and if I absolutely had to visit a store, this would be one hell of a nice one to visit.:D

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
If only amsterdam wouldnt be on the other side of the country:(

I live relatively close to Amsterdam, but in my opinion Apple picked the worst location ever. The only customers who benefit from this location, are the ones who live within short walking or bicycle distance. You can't get there by car without paying huge parking fees or getting a wheel clamp. Public transfer is slow (no subway). And only if the local soccer "fans" haven't destroyed the neighborhood again.

Apple should have picked one of the more geographically centered cities. All have way better connections by train and car than Amsterdam.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
it looks really nice, im about 1 hour drive from amsterdam so hopefully i the next few months i ll go n visit it..

the thing is that is better i ll stay away bs if u enter the store u HAVE to buy something eh?:p

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I imagine that going to the Apple store blazed without any fear of arrest would be pretty nice.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
All brand new nice and shiny space store, in a great location in Amsterdam, and it's only filled by iPod, iPhone, iPad which fills about 70% of the store, and 30% of the store will sell Macbook Pro and Air, just a little space for iMac or Mac Mini, and a very tiny dark corner, almost invisible space for a HUGE MacPro, I bet :rolleyes:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I imagine that going to the Apple store blazed without any fear of arrest would be pretty nice.

When I'm "blazed", as you put it, I'd have no interest in wasting the buzz on shopping in an electronic consumer gadget store.

Amsterdam has much more interesting things to do.

Echo040

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Why do they insist it is the first in the Netherlands? It is not.

Yes, it is the first official Apple Store. You are confusing this with the already existing Apple Premium Resellers in The Netherlands such as YouMac, A-Mac or iCentre.

----------------------------------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry mushrooms have since been banned. But i do find it funny you can smoke in a bar as long as its 100% weed. That tabacco is really bad for you. Anyway back on subject...

The official stance of the Dutch government is that 3 or maybe 4 species of magic mushrooms are illegal to sell.
However, you can still obtain a smaller type of mushroom or various types of truffles. Hell, if you know what you're doing (but I figure the average smoke&drink tourist doens't) you can even go into the fields and find some yourself.

----------------------------------

I live relatively close to Amsterdam, but in my opinion Apple picked the worst location ever. The only customers who benefit from this location, are the ones who live within short walking or bicycle distance. You can't get there by car without paying huge parking fees or getting a wheel clamp. Public transfer is slow (no subway). And only if the local soccer "fans" haven't destroyed the neighborhood again.

Apple should have picked one of the more geographically centered cities. All have way better connections by train and car than Amsterdam.

Where would you have placed it? Utrecht? If you're from the south of The Netherlands even that is far by your standards.

Amsterdam is the logical choice for Apple. It's the centre of The Netherlands' urban area. The greater Amsterdam area inhabits about 2 million people.
Besides that, Amsterdam receives the most tourists on a yearly basis.

And as for public transport, there are 5 trams and I believe 5 busses who all stop on the Leidseplein (the square) so it is in fact quite easy to reach.
Other then that, it's maybe a 15 minute walk from the Dam Square.

So boohoo, Amsterdam, and Holland for that matter, are tiny.
It's just that Dutch people think travelling 30 minutes for something they like is too long, be that a museum, football match or in this case, an Apple Store.

And just like in any major city, you have to make an effort. Do you think the average New Yorker is pissed off because he can't park on 5th Avenue?

Please, have some common sense.

Besides, it is not a necessity. You can go to any APR and get the same products, you can even order them online.
The Apple Store is more of convenience, free internet, free hotspot.

It's just great for Apple, and Amsterdam's, global appeal.

Rant over.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
wow. The only Apple stores I've been in are the ****** ones in Knoxville Charlotte and Atlanta. I'd love to visit one of these iconic places within great architecture...

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I recorded two youtube movies and published them on my blog http://patjem.nl/apple-store-amsterdam-opening-03-03-2012 It's amazing all the crowd, staff yelling and running around and huge lines. Even bigger then the re-opening at 5th Av.

nice, thanks for those video's. yep its a big happening every time again.
I wish it wasnt on the other side of the country, else i would have definatly been there as a total apple fan ^^
Nice how enthousiastic the emplyees where, and how they really literarry opened their doors to the second.

ChOas

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
The Netherlands
That was fun :D

Got in line at about 07:45 or so...

Loads of people! Not too fond of the whole high-fiving myself (I don't like attention) but good fun was had :D

Beautiful store, I must say!

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Got in line at about 07:45 or so...

Loads of people! Not too fond of the whole high-fiving myself (I don't like attention) but good fun was had :D

Beautiful store, I must say!

Haha, I wasn't even awake at 7:45! I was in line at 9:15 and started at the bridge. I was in the store around 10:30-10:45.

ChOas

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2006
The Netherlands
Did they hand out the obligatory T-Shirt? Does it come in orange? :D

Yes, and yes :) attached is a picture of my tshirt :)

(oh, just for the non-Dutch, Amsterdam is usually shortened to A'dam here, they picked up on that one :) )

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    946.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Is there free wifi in that store, even at close time? Can someone check?
Im thinking about camping in front of store for half a night for the ipad3 launch.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
How many Employees?

Just saw some videos of the opening of this store. :eek: WOW! :eek: I don' mean just the store, which is beautiful. It's an Apple store, of course, but I love the staircase and along with the old elements it has a peaceful elegance about it. What wowed me was the one video of the employees all heading up the street together. You can see it here. I've never seen so many!

And yeah, I know this was all employed by the store--front, back, genius bar, night and day and all week--and that there typically won't have that many on hand, but still! That store has a hell-of-a-lot of employees. I think there were more of them than people waiting in line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.