Inside Look at the Apple Watch Lab

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SamGabbay, Mar 20, 2015.

1. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Check this out. Inside look at Apples Secret (Bane) Lab.

https://gma.yahoo.com/inside-apples-top-secret-health-fitness-lab-apple-115118978--abc-news-personal-finance.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

2. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

But...I thought Watch was just a bone Tim Cook threw Jony Ive to keep him from getting bored. At least that's what some in the cynical media want us to believe. I wonder what they'll say in a few years when the whole "controversy" over the Edition Watch has fizzled out and Watch is tightly integrated into HealthKit and ResearchKit (and we what a game changer this device really is).

3. BD1 macrumors 6502

After seeing this I am encouraged that the fitness data will be more accurate than the current fitness bands,etc.

This is my primary reason to own (or not own) the AW.

4. Phisherman81, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

Thx for the link!! Amazing, I'm thankful for them getting hooked up to all that equipment and running in meat lockers to push forward my silly morning jogs :) that's awesome!

And also, this is exactly what they need to share to convince people of its usefulness. Lots of watches track fitness, but does anyone believe there are Android manufacturers doing this kind of quality control for its software accuracy? No way. I would say for sure when it comes to some of the real fitness tracking/gps watches, though like GPS mapping a few years ago, they better be ready to fight obsolescence!! Once apple watch gets GPS, game over guys.

5. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Definitely the main reason why I want the apple watch. I've tried a few fit bands and while most motivate me to keep active, they dont provide enough information and I try something new. Hoping this watch will be my last stop for a fitness band.

6. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

7. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

"Top Secret Lab! Something out of science fiction!" Or, just science. "Looks like something from Breaking bad!" Yeah, running on a treadmill measuring heart rate is just like a meth lab. When journalism isn't just retarded, they are lying.

It's so secret they invited ABC news in with their cameras, to help market the Watch as a fitness device.

If they are overselling this promise, I'll return it. I have 2 weeks with it to test, and I'll be watching reviews from the fitness field as well.

8. malone18 macrumors member

malone18

Think this is the reason for the Breaking Bad reference....not too far off.

breaking_bad_59253.jpg

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Interesting that it seems to imply Apple is developing their own algorithms for caloric cardio consumption instead of licensing them. This would be a tremendous waste of resources unless the HR monitor is accurate. Apple must believe or hopefully know they have done what no other compony has been able to do by perfecting the optical HR monitor.

I hope to do a 10 to 12 mile comparison run on the 25th of April.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Is that supposed to be a joke?

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Or pun or typo.:eek:

12. PoppaKap macrumors regular

Impressive amount of resources for this. Exactly what I've been wondering about. I really hope the HR monitor is accurate. If not, the whole thing is worthless.

13. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Will, it would not be anymore much of a secret since it was unvealed around 6 months ago, now....would it????

Did you hear or see any geniuning leaked info about it before it was released? Don't think so. So yes, it was a top secret.

14. rcarter3636 macrumors member

Inside Look at the Apple Watch Lab

Noticed a few things here.
    Jay Blahnik is wearing his Watch on his right hand. The crown is opposite, going toward his arm rather than toward the fingers. No ivied since you can flip the screen.
    One of the rowers was wearing his watch face down which several like to wear their watch.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Still think it's a bizarre scenario they are trying to paint here that all these Apple employees doing all these workouts for 2 years, and having something strapped to their wrist but covered up, and not one of them thought.

"hmmm I think it's a watch"

Really?

:D

16. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

Can't say I am surprised, for them to be working on this project for three years. I would imagine some kind of lab like this one. This is only showing that Apple did some serious search and development for the AW. For me this is good news, in that the AW is not just another fitness gimmick, like some are saying. I will be putting mine to the test when I get it, I am currently using a GARMIN 500 bike computer with a chest HR for cycling. And it's a pretty accurate kit. But i am telling u right now, I wouldn't be surprised one bit. If the AW does very thing that it is designed to do and does it well. Every time I look at the AW, for me it just doesn't look like your average smart watch. Can't wait for this thing to be on my wrist.