Insides of an external hard drive enclosure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andersonmattt, Aug 14, 2010.

1. andersonmattt macrumors member

andersonmattt

I am planning on gutting a broken mac mini and turn it into an external hard drive. Ive taken apart external enclosures before and ive seen the sata connector, but i have no idea where to buy one or what it is even called.
    Does anybody have any better information? Because i'd hate to have to buy an enclosure and strip it for the parts.:apple:

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You just mean the connector or the entire board with the SATA connector, bridge chip, power regulators and so on? It is possible to buy bridge boards. For example this was the second Google result for "SATA USB bridge board"

3. andersonmattt thread starter macrumors member

andersonmattt

That's exactly what i was looking for! thank you. Now i at least know what i'm looking for. Most likley im going to wait a year or so and make it light peak compatible or at least a faster firewire

4. andersonmattt thread starter macrumors member

andersonmattt

Am i right in seeing that theres not an actual sata port on the hardware, but only a plug for a cable?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No idea. As I said it was just an example. With a bit of searching you can probably find what you want.

6. andersonmattt thread starter macrumors member

andersonmattt

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Actually, the one robbieduncan linked has a SATA port, but it seems you need a cable to attach it to the hard drive. It's perpendicular to the board rather than parallel. Edit: And has two SATA connectors judging from the description.

8. andersonmattt thread starter macrumors member

andersonmattt

I was confused by the two SATA connectors. Does this mean it will raid? And any predictions on when apple is going to bring USB 3/lightpeak/FireWire 1600 & 3200?

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you read the description:
    No clue about the other stuff though. Only Apple knows for sure.

10. andersonmattt thread starter macrumors member

andersonmattt

Yeah I guess so. I'm hoping for sometime next year