Insight into how the notifications actually work

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bigred7078, Sep 11, 2014.

1. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

I'm curious about how exactly the notifications will work and how much control we will have over them.

For example, say I wear my watch to work and I am in a meeting. Does the :apple:Watch automatically light up every time I get a text/facebook message/e-mail/etc. like the iPhone would? OR Do notifications only light up if you lift your wrist to your face? That could be pretty distracting if it always lights up... Yes, yes, I know you can turn on do-not-disturb via the watch im just wondering how much flexibility or control we will have over it.

Has there been any mention of whether or not you can adjust settings to only alert you via the taptic feedback?

I would think you could save battery by initially being alerted to a notification via the taptic engine BUT it not lighting up unless you lift your wrist to look at it. Thoughts?

Anyone have any insight into how it actually works?

2. mainer4101 macrumors member

If I understood the keynote correctly, I believe the notifications will come in either a sound (like a ding) and/or a small vibration on your wrist. Then to see the notification, you have to activate the screen on the watch, which you can do by just lifting your arm to look at the watch. I imagine there will be a Watch App on your iPhone, which will allow you to control various aspects of the watch, such as which apps are on it, which notifications are sent, whether you hear a sound or just a vibrations or both, etc. So if you are going to be in a meeting, you can either set the notifications to vibrate only, or you can put your phone into airplane mode and no notifications will come through.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Better wait for the official details than make us guess for you.

4. bigred7078 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

I didn't ask you to guess. I asked if anyone had any insight, there have been lots of small details expanded upon after the keynote. I thought maybe I missed something. It's not an unreasonable question.

----------

I hope this is the case! I certainly don't want to bother others around me.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Other than what's available on apple.com and this site, nobody really knows given the dearth of information.

6. cmaier macrumors G4

7. Monique1 macrumors regular

No insight needed here. It was actually mentioned in the keynote; People standing right next to you won't even know it.

8. HerbieMac macrumors newbie