Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dxpx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
the 405, OK
I stumbled upon this camcorder in bestbuy the other day. It sounds pretty sweet - but I'm curious to know if any MR members know anything about it or perhaps even own one.

Here's a brief synopsis...

The Insignia HD Digital Camcorder records 720p HD video and has 8x digital zoom, a 3" LCD swivel display, image stabiliization and 64 MB of internal memory as well as an HDMI output, USB port and SD card slot.

It looks pretty too! :D

Oh, and its only $99 USD! So, is it worth it? Or too good to be true?

jprincesa

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
I stumbled upon this camcorder in bestbuy the other day. It sounds pretty sweet - but I'm curious to know if any MR members know anything about it or perhaps even own one.

Here's a brief synopsis...

The Insignia HD Digital Camcorder records 720p HD video and has 8x digital zoom, a 3" LCD swivel display, image stabiliization and 64 MB of internal memory as well as an HDMI output, USB port and SD card slot.

It looks pretty too! :D

Oh, and its only $99 USD! So, is it worth it? Or too good to be true?

I was looking into this camera too. but i dont think it works well with macs. it only shoots vids in avi or something like that.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I was looking into this camera too. but i dont think it works well with macs. it only shoots vids in avi or something like that.
In and of itself, the fact that it produces videos in .avi containers means nothing.

dxpx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
the 405, OK
It is what it is. If it does what you want a digital camcorder to do, then it is worth it. If it does not, then it is not. Only you know the answer.

you're absolutely right. i suppose i was just looking for blatant flaws in the device - reasons why no one should buy it, etc. :)

FinchAndChimps

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008

It does work with Mac's no problem. I have edited movies made with this camcorder, using IMovie. I did have an issue intially with the proper codecs not being available on my Macbook - and so had to do a search to see what I needed. I have documented the Mac issue and solution with my short review of the inexpensive HD camcorder here:

http://finchandchimps.com/index.php?topic=130.0

I didn't expect much for the price - and I think that that is exactly what I got with the purchase of it. I have shot some footage in the Toronto subway over the weekend and will be heading to Costa Rica to shoot some urban and jungle footage there in February. By then I should have a good handle on whether this Insignia HD camcorder is of any use at all - or simply a complete waste of a $100 and some dollars.

jprincesa

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
It does work with Mac's no problem. I have edited movies made with this camcorder, using IMovie. I did have an issue intially with the proper codecs not being available on my Macbook - and so had to do a search to see what I needed. I have documented the Mac issue and solution with my short review of the inexpensive HD camcorder here:

http://finchandchimps.com/index.php?topic=130.0

I didn't expect much for the price - and I think that that is exactly what I got with the purchase of it. I have shot some footage in the Toronto subway over the weekend and will be heading to Costa Rica to shoot some urban and jungle footage there in February. By then I should have a good handle on whether this Insignia HD camcorder is of any use at all - or simply a complete waste of a $100 and some dollars.

Cool thanks for your response bc i was worried about it not being compatible with a mac

NothingOriginal

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Hey guys - so I'm kinda newish to the whole technology craze thing - but I broke down and bought this little camera - for what I want to do with it it sounds really cool - but first question - and this is going to make sound really stupid *hides in shame* but for the first time you plug everything in - I'm assuming you have to charge the battery first? I'm asking cause it's not turning on - I'm hoping that's all that's wrong with it....

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Hey guys - so I'm kinda newish to the whole technology craze thing - but I broke down and bought this little camera - for what I want to do with it it sounds really cool - but first question - and this is going to make sound really stupid *hides in shame* but for the first time you plug everything in - I'm assuming you have to charge the battery first? I'm asking cause it's not turning on - I'm hoping that's all that's wrong with it....

Well there's only one way to find out now, isn't there?

NothingOriginal

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Fair enough - just so you know - I was joking to - sarcasm and the internet never really go well together - but let's assume I did plug in my camera and let's assume that nothing was happening - but I've googled a few more videos - I guess my question is - if you do have to charge up the battery before you use it - how long do you have to charge it for? I've never used camcorders in my life - so I'm really a novice at all this.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Fair enough - just so you know - I was joking to - sarcasm and the internet never really go well together - but let's assume I did plug in my camera and let's assume that nothing was happening - but I've googled a few more videos - I guess my question is - if you do have to charge up the battery before you use it - how long do you have to charge it for? I've never used camcorders in my life - so I'm really a novice at all this.

Stupid internet.

As for your question, I would guess about 3 hours for q full charge. Maybe less. But just charging it for 20 minutes or so should give you enough juice to know if it works or not.

NothingOriginal

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
ok, one more stupid question(I'm full of 'em today) how do you know when it's charged? There's a blue light on right now - I'm going to assume that it switches to a red light...the instructions aren't really very clear on the setup of this thing, are they?

NothingOriginal

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
I got my camera working yay - well, it still has to charge - but it's working. Now I have to figure out what I want to film with it.

rfin16

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Does anyone know if this camcorder model can be used with Imac G4 and directly input video to a program like Framethief? I have tried asking the manufacturer but they do not respond as yet.

Thank you for your help.

coxjam

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
St. Louis

I just bought one earlier this month and found out that the first time you charge the battery it should be for 6 hours. Thereafter 3-4 hours.

coxjam

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
St. Louis
New question. So far with this HD camera I've learned how to take pictures and movies, view and delete them, but i'm having trouble when I hook it up to my laptop. It shows pictures, but when I switch to "movies" I only get the audio, no video. Any ideas? Thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... It shows pictures, but when I switch to "movies" I only get the audio, no video. Any ideas? Thanks.
It sounds like you don't have the proper codec for your camera's video track. If you cannot locate the codec on the manufacturer's website, then download and install the Perian codec suite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.