Insignia TV's

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bigdaddy223, Aug 27, 2014.

1. bigdaddy223 macrumors regular

I'm looking at 42''-48'' insignia tv's . Are they a good buy??? Any help would be mostly appreciated...

Help pls..

Thank you

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Consumer Reports rates them relatively poorly against many other competitors- some of which cost only a little more. It appears the biggest positive about them is price. If money is very tight, that might be the thing to dominate the decision. Else, consider that people usually use a TV for 5+ years. If a much better quality TV costs an extra $100, that's only $20/yr more per year for a much better TV. If you keep it 10 years, it's only $10/yr more for a much better TV.

Do some online review hunting and see what they say.

3. dvdlovr24 macrumors 6502

I have two Insignia TV's. One is in the bedroom and the other in my son's room. They aren't bad for the money, but don't hold a candle to a Samsung or other name brands. I wouldn't use one as your primary TV due to it's average picture quality, but it's great as a secondary TV.

4. NDefer macrumors member

I have a 55" insignia tv I bought for less then $600.

Great tv, no issues that people complain about online. I knew I wanted a 50" + and nothing was close to the price point so I bit the bullet. No ghosting or anything like that if that is a concern of yours.

5. StinDaWg macrumors 6502

No, Insignia is a terrible brand, and I wouldn't use an lcd even if it was given to me for free.

Plasma all the way until OLED comes down in price.

6. Ipadilac macrumors member

Ipadilac

Insignia is Best Buys house brand. You really can't say they are all bad.. I have a 42" plasma I bought like 5 years ago and it still works great.

The fact of the matter is.. Samsung made the one I have. so to say a samsung is better is kinda goofy!

7. deepinoy8 macrumors newbie

I have an insignia tv that i bought in 2011 black friday from best buy and it works perfectly still good and crisp. haven't lost a pixel or anything and its 1080p :) I do dust it once a week with a duster to keep the dust from getting inside the screen and places idk if that helps the longevity or not. :D

8. dbanderson1 macrumors member

I used to work at best buy and it is crazy how often they would come back... I would go samsung or even vizio over insignia, both which have cheap options available.

9. Irishman macrumors 68030

What are your looking for in a new TV? What is your budget?

10. Cigsm macrumors 6502a

Working at best buy you should know that Samsung is one of the manufacturers of the insignia brand.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Very few BB employees know anything about the products they sell

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

That doesn't mean that the same care, parts, or attentions to detail go in to building an Insignia TV as does building a Samsung TV. Just because Samsung builds the Insignia models does not mean that they are of the same quality.

13. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

They are a perfectly decent average display. Not in any upper tier of displays but nice overall, especially price. Bought a 47" LCD for my bedroom for $249 and the HD PQ is very nice with minor tweaking. SD varies but probably below average. No problems in the 9 months I've had it. Just keep an eye on BB ads to watch for the reduced prices.

14. bigdaddy223 thread starter macrumors regular