Insomnia doesn't work on my 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaffyDuck, Mar 14, 2011.

1. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

I also tried Caffeine but my computer still sleeps when I close the lid. I've tried adjusting power settings to no avail. Any suggestions?

2. tekjunke macrumors member

InsominaX doesn't work for me either on my new 2011. (worked fine on my 2009)

Someone recommended Sleepless in another thread but that costs $, and I don't want to be the first to experiment only to find out that it doesn't work either...

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Caffeine won't keep your Mac awake with the lid closed. InsomniaX used to, but it's possible it needs to be updated for the new models.

4. Cantisama macrumors member

Had the same problem on my 2011 mbp, here's how I fixed it:
    1) Remove InsomniaX and any other sleep program that didn't work for you.
    2) Install InsomniaT: https://launchpad.net/insomniat
    3) InsomniaT does not enable itself by default. Create a "insomniat_start.command" script with line "insomniat --disable" and add it to your account login items: System Preferences->Accounts->(your account)->Login Items->(add your script)
    4) Reboot. Sleep on lid close is disabled by default from now on. You can still manually sleep by either going through the Apple menu or using the shortcut (command+option+eject).

5. macdroid macrumors member

Once I get this working, would there be any concern about leaving the macbook running at night with the lid closed? I was under the impression that it uses the keyboard area as an air intake, so I am concerned about screwing up the airflow since the lid closes so nicely (never had this concern with a Windows based laptop).

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Will try this when I get home. I've been searching for a solution since the day they were released!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The fan(s) and air intake and exhaust are located at the rear of Apple notebooks, near the hinge. The keyboard is not a vent of any kind, since there is a solid sheet under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful airflow. That's why it's fine to run in clamshell mode, as instructed by Apple.

8. macdroid macrumors member

Thanks for confirming this. Time to try InsomniaT.

9. DaffyDuck thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

10. hyperpiper45 macrumors regular

Just to add to this, I have just tried Sleepless on my 2011 MBP and it is working perfectly.

11. macdroid macrumors member

Just installed it SleepLess as well, but noticed it's shareware. Any idea if it will stop working? Didn't see any details about the limitations.

12. larryj macrumors member

ALXsoftware, the developer of Sleepless, isn't helping the closed lid heat concerns. From their website -

ATTENTION! Using your Mac with closed lid can lead to serious system heat problems!

http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

14. DaffyDuck thread starter macrumors 6502

Perhaps the makers of Sleepless should warn these guys: http://www.hengedocks.com/
    :D

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

16. macdroid macrumors member

Sleepless isn't working for me, tried different configurations, the MBP still goes to sleep :/

17. eddahlen macrumors newbie

eddahlen

Sleepless works flawlessly for me. I'm just on the trial.

18. macdroid macrumors member

I must be missing something obvious, I have tried every single option, and my MBP keeps going to sleep. Absolutely frustrating how Apple goes out of its way to stop me from doing something this simple.

19. robbo24 macrumors newbie

please help!!!!!

sorry for bringing this thread back up but i'm in desperate need of help!! i just switched to mac (MBP 2011) from windows and had no idea about this closed lid situation!
    i read above about installing the .pkg from launchpad, but...how? whenever i click on the download in launchpad it just goes to the code :(
    sorry for being a total computer newbie...i'm beginning to miss windows now!

20. BlackMeister macrumors newbie

!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!! DO NOT DO THID IF YOU HAVE LION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not having a go at the person who left this post, but do not be as silly as me and install InsomniaT with Lion. It completely locked up my system, there is a name for it (can't remember) when you get the "shut down using power button" in 5 different languages, no matter what I did when the system turned back on it went into the same screen with no backlight and no ability to move mouse and lots of coding over the screen with the words "Insomnia T" on, the screen was dead (no back light) and I had to use a torch shone on the screen to do all the work. I then restarted my Mac by holding down the Command key and the R key (Command-R), then for me luckily I have a Time Capsule. So just spent the last 5 hrs reformatting my system. Perhaps it would have worked if I had reloaded Lion, but didn't go for this option.

So what a fun evening!!! Now still want to find a programme that will keep mac on whilst I shut the lid. For me I turn the back light off and use it for playing music to my airplay systems whilst I put my MacBook Air back on the shelf.