InsomniaX Alternatives?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spongey817, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Spongey817 macrumors regular

So, Snow Leopard broke Insomnia X...

I'm looking for something that won't put my macbook asleep when I close the lid. Apparently, Caffeine doesn't do this. Anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks

2. Spongey817 thread starter macrumors regular

3. California King macrumors 65816

Yeah, it sucks that it doesn't work! I hate sleeping and waking my Mac whenever I want to use it in clamshell mode.

4. Spongey817 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. I've settled on Caffeine for now - but it won't do anything to prevent sleep when I close the lid of my MacBook. Recommendations are definitely welcome...

5. ajhaji macrumors regular

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

caffeine ftw i've been using it since day one

7. Andy Huang macrumors newbie

Be careful... I can't seem to "unload" it. It complains about not being loaded correctly or something. I'm gonna try a reboot later to see if that unloads it properly.

Caffeine still puts the computer to sleep when you close the lid. InsomniaX keeps the computer awake even when you close the lid. Useful if you're using your macbook as a desktop replacement... closing the lid to leave it download over night or something is pretty handy.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Why does the lid need to be closed for this?

9. Andy Huang macrumors newbie

Picky habit of my, this way it prevents dust from getting to the keyboard when I'm not "using it"... that and so I can be lazy and not manually dim the display.

And that was really just one example. I also like closing the lid so I can go from one classroom to another, without dropping from IRC channels and downloads etc.

10. schmoogol macrumors newbie

You can unload it if you download the application again and run this copy. It seems that with an admin password loading and unloading works and a fresh copy prompts for your password.

11. uber man macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem, did this, and it still won't unload. Any solutions? Thanks.

12. ninadpchaudhari macrumors newbie

Hey i found one !

:apple:
    Hi
    was searching for the same and found a better alternative !! :cool:
    insomniax went useless at Lion(for me even the update did not work !)

but then i found "Sleepless" ( for lion users you need greater version than 2.8.1) on net
    the only problem is that it is a shareware (not exactly paid...) but it works like charm ( i have Macbook Pro early 2011)

very happy with it and also it has A Lot more functions than the insomniax
    link : http://goo.gl/hDgUu

sorry for any mistakes done above.....

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios