InsomniaX/InsomniaT/Sleepless on Lion ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by vom, Jul 20, 2011.

1. vom macrumors newbie

Does anyone have one of these 3 running/working okay in Lion ? Sleepless ($$$) indicates that it works in Lion, the other 2 are open source but it's hard to find definitive info as to working on Lion.

I tried InsomniaX on my wife's MBP (SL). However since this is kext, I expect different (broken ?) behaviour in Lion.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. M87 macrumors 65816

I'm not familiar with those apps, but I'm guessing they keep your Mac awake for a period of time. I use Caffeine and it works just fine in Lion.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

4. vom thread starter macrumors newbie

They disable sleep on lid close. My issue is walking from one room to another at work (i.e. from desk to conf. room). Without one of these programs working - I will lose my network and thereby lose active ssh sessions to servers :(

5. vom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. I guess $10 isnt so bad - but free is always better ;)

6. karohan macrumors 6502

How do you upgrade Sleepless? I purchased it a couple months ago for SL, but do I have to pay again for every minor update or is there a way to update? I didn't get any updates through the app itself.

7. Ebro10 macrumors newbie

I have insomniax and it wasn't working for me so i downloaded caffeine and it did not work for me either. I tried rebooting and neither of them work.

8. whittaker007 macrumors newbie

Not working for me

I've been a long time user of InsomniaX, and I was delighted to find that it seemed to work on Lion. However I quickly discovered that while I could turn it on and prevent my Macbook from sleeping, I was unable to turn it off again except by restarting the machine.

I tried Caffeine and it did not prevent sleep.

9. dnb34tz420 macrumors newbie

+1 doesnt seem to be working. weird that it works for some people and not others which makes me hesitant to purchase sleepless...

10. satchow macrumors 6502

Just go to their website and download the new version and install it. That's all

11. The13thDoctor macrumors regular

12. Yahooligan, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011

Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Unfortunately, it's not very clear on the dev's website. However, if you go to CNet downloads and go to the page for InsomniaX it says two things which conflict; v1.3.5 and released July 29, 2011.

If you actually click on the link to download it you will download v2.0, which does work on Lion. I'm using it (And Lion) as I type this. :cool:

13. sdugoten macrumors regular

Just wonder if the wifi still works after you close the lid?

14. sapnho macrumors newbie

I use InsomniaT and it works under Lion provided that you do not use an external monitor.

15. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Thanks for that, I just tested and no...wifi doesn't work/isn't online with the lid closed. Bummer. :(

16. moonchilddave macrumors regular

Thanks, works for me in Lion as well on my MacBook... And WiFi does remain active as well.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Thanks!! :D

InsomniaT works great on Lion. And even better, the Apple logo doesn't stay lit anymore, unlike when I use InsomniaX on Snow Leopard.

It did take me a a couple of minutes to realize that it's located under system preferences.

18. thecrevis macrumors newbie

19. vcantrell macrumors member

vcantrell

Well, there is a bug with insomniaT that causes it to make your 2011 MBP go back to sleep as soon as you open the lid. As far as I can tell InsomniaX works well with the 2011MBP, but i'll update if I find differently.

For everyone who was saying insomniaX wasn't updated; it really was. Get it from CNet. New icon and everything.

20. whittaker007 macrumors newbie

InsomniaX 2 not working for me

I installed the new InsomniaX from Cnet but it's not working for me. When I select "Disable lid sleep" nothing happens, the icon and label text do not change, and when I close the lid it sleeps.

I can select "Disable Idle Sleep" and it changes the icon and the item text changes to "Enable idle sleep" so I assume that might be working OK, though I haven't bothered to test it.

I'm using an 11" C2D Macbook Air, and I got the same results with a fresh install of Lion as well as an upgraded Lion from Snow Leopard.

21. vcantrell macrumors member

vcantrell

Did you install the kext file by typing in your username and password?

Also, did you completely uninstall the old version of insomniaX 1.3.5?

22. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I have InsomniaX 2.0 and it works brilliantly on my MBP. Used to use Caffeine which worked too but I wanted one that stays awake when the lid is closed, not just disables idle sleep.

23. whittaker007 macrumors newbie

Macbook Air issue

Yes, I tried it on a completely fresh install of Lion with little else installed and no previous versions. Looking at the latest comments on the developer's website it appears that this is probably an issue that only affects Macbook Airs. :confused:

24. GotBushels macrumors newbie

Works fine on my MBA

New MBA, bought about Aug 15, with Lion. Just put on InsomniaX 2.0. Have itunes playing. Close lid sleeps the display (great new 2.0 feature) and the MBA is still running with itunes playing.

You need to click the moon and press "disable lid sleep".