Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Instagram Adds New Options for Bulk Deleting Comments and Controlling Who Can Tag and Mention You

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram has rolled out some new features that aim to prevent online bullying and other unwanted interactions on the social media platform. These features include the ability to control who can tag or mention you in comments, captions and Stories, and the ability to delete comments in bulk.

When it comes to who can mention and tag you in content, you can choose Everyone, Only People You Follow, or No One. These options can be found in the Privacy section of the Settings screen, accessed via your profile.

To bulk delete comments, follow these steps:
  1. Tap a comment, then tap the dotted icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
  2. Select Manage Comments.
  3. Choose up to 25 comments to delete at once.
  4. Tap Delete, or tap More Options to block or restrict accounts in bulk.

Instagram says it also has a pinned comments feature in the works that will give users "a way to set the tone for their account and engage with their community by pinning a select number of comments to the top of their comments thread."

More information about Facebook and Instagram's work towards a more positive culture online can be found in the May Community Standards Enforcement Report.

Article Link: Instagram Adds New Options for Bulk Deleting Comments and Controlling Who Can Tag and Mention You

DblHelix

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Happy for this. Biggest complaint are the whore bots tagging me in posts and crap.

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Ah ok yes that makes sense. That’s why I have a 2nd account tbh lol my family doesn’t need to see the insta hoes I follow

Lmaooo yup same here. I think it’s great having 2 Instagram and 2 Twitter accounts.

I follow 250 dudes on my “other” Instagram account. 😞

tallscot

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2002

Instagram has rolled out some new features that aim to prevent online bullying and other unwanted interactions on the social media platform. These features include the ability to control who can tag or mention you in comments, captions and Stories, and the ability to delete comments in bulk.

When it comes to who can mention and tag you in content, you can choose Everyone, Only People You Follow, or No One. These options can be found in the Privacy section of the Settings screen, accessed via your profile.

To bulk delete comments, follow these steps:
  1. Tap a comment, then tap the dotted icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
  2. Select Manage Comments.
  3. Choose up to 25 comments to delete at once.
  4. Tap Delete, or tap More Options to block or restrict accounts in bulk.

Instagram says it also has a pinned comments feature in the works that will give users "a way to set the tone for their account and engage with their community by pinning a select number of comments to the top of their comments thread."

More information about Facebook and Instagram's work towards a more positive culture online can be found in the May Community Standards Enforcement Report.

Article Link: Instagram Adds New Options for Bulk Deleting Comments and Controlling Who Can Tag and Mention You

Too late. I’m off all social media. Couldn’t be happier. I have zero stress about whether or not I’m tagged or what comments were made. :)

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How about some real privacy options?

I can't make the accounts I follow private (only me)

No individual privacy options for each post...

great idea!

also agree that posting (from a public or private account) someone may just prefer a certain post to allow for comments (open, restricted, only from people in a group you’ve created, not to be shared).

most importantly: I pray iOS has a standard API for screenshots. This way a restriction of screenshots can be restricted within certain apps. A vindictive person can take a screenshot modify it and upload it with some very disturbing or hurtful content.

Reactions: Oz.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.