Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At Apple's September 2016 special event, Instagram announced several new features for its app to take advantage of various iPhone capabilities. Today, co-founder Mike Krieger announced that two of the features, wide color support and Live Photos support, are rolling out to users.

Instagram-Logo-800x450.jpg

Instagram had to revise its photo filters to support the iPhone 7's new camera capabilities. The new photo filters will allow users with an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus to see and capture a wider variety of hues in their photos.

Live Photos support for Instagram Stories has also been implemented. This allows users to upload GIFs into their Instagram Stories without using the standalone Boomerang app. To upload a Live Photos to Instagram Stories, users just have to 3D Touch on the Live Photos they want to upload before they upload it.

The other big feature Instagram announced in September, the ability to use the iPhone 7 Plus' telephoto lens for one-finger zoom, has not yet gone live. Neither wide color or Live Photos support for Instagram Stories require a user to update the app.

Instagram is available in the App Store for free [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram Adds Support for Wide Color and Live Photos

C5.4

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
That's pretty cool. I haven't used live photos once since getting my 7, but maybe I will try it now.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
FINALLY. I'm surprised it look them this long to add Live Photo support, since I believe the API has been out for over a year now. IG is the perfect place to share Live Photos IMO, and I'm glad they didn't forget about it.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I still haven't got the update? Last updated shows December 19
As the article shares at the end, no update is required. This means instagram enables the feature from the back end.

Facebook/Instagram are extremely slow at rolling out announced features. They typically roll the feature out in stages to different groups of people.

We could be waiting awhile.
[doublepost=1483693336][/doublepost]According to instagram CTO claims this should be enable for everyone with an iPhone 7. Can anyone confirm the feature is working for them?

Reactions: jef82

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Wide color and Live Photos within stories are both working for me. Pretty cool. Old photos that were wide color do not display with wide color, though. It seems to apply to new uploads only. Also, if you're uploading a live photo from a device with no 3D Touch, you can still activate them with a long press (rather than 3D Touching them).

MVMNT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Because DCI-P3 is the only wide colour space now... :|

Hey, AdobeRGB!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
As the article shares at the end, no update is required. This means instagram enables the feature from the back end.

Facebook/Instagram are extremely slow at rolling out announced features. They typically roll the feature out in stages to different groups of people.

We could be waiting awhile.
[doublepost=1483693336][/doublepost]According to instagram CTO claims this should be enable for everyone with an iPhone 7. Can anyone confirm the feature is working for them?

Their reason for the slower roll out is totally understandable. Facebook has over 1 billion users. You don't want to just turn a feature on and hope it works. Instead, they roll them out to a single state or demographic, see how it performs and then continue expanding the roll out if it functions as desired.

Look at the chaos that has taken place when Apple has released an iOS update with issues. Only a couple thousand people at the most downloaded them right at the time of release (MR users and other iPhone hardcores). Look at what an issue those instances became even with a relatively small number of users. Now imagine that happened with +1 billion people. It wouldn't be pretty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.