Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Instagram Announces Automatic In-App Text Translation Feature

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram has announced that it is developing a text translation feature for its flagship app that will roll out in the coming month.

Once live, users will see a new "See Translation" button beneath photos and user profiles which will automatically translate comments, captions, and bios into the language chosen in the app's settings.

The machine translation feature will support 24 languages to begin with, but the option won't show on older comments or those it doesn't recognize the language of.

In the coming month, you'll see a translation button on feed stories and profile bios written in languages different from your own. The Instagram community has grown faster and become more global than we ever imagined. And we're excited that you'll soon be able to understand the full story of a moment, no matter what language you speak. To learn more about translation on Instagram, check out help.instagram.com. A photo posted by Instagram (@instagram) on Jun 22, 2016 at 10:00am PDT
Twitter and Facebook have offered automatic translation features for a while now, so the introduction of the feature brings the service in line with the other big social networks.

Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, has been busy tweaking its platform recently, with a new logo and a redesigned app among the changes.

Earlier this week, it announced that the photo-based social network is now used by over 500 million people, with 300 million using the app every day and 80 percent of users living outside the U.S.

Article Link: Instagram Announces Automatic In-App Text Translation Feature

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
Ha, this is great. My wife follows a bunch of foreign accounts to discover exotic new products for her home furnishing company! She'll love this.

Comment

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
View attachment 637510 If I can upgrade without dropping my old iconic icon/logo, I'll take it
I recently watched a TV ad where the company would list their social media and amongst those couple icons the Instagram stood out - not in a good way.
It looks absolutely out of place and whilst the old one probably isn't really viable anymore in detail, I think removing the details and keeping the color scheme and slightly modernizing it would have done the job perfectly.

Glassed Silver:mac

Reactions: tonyr6
Comment

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Read below.

If you're not interested in the article, you don't have to read it. But other people may be.

But Telos101's wife would have discovered this new feature when she updated. As the report says, "Twitter and Facebook have offered automatic translation features for a while now", so I don't understand what makes this update any more newsworthy than thousands of other updates made every day. It all seems a bit arbitrary.

Reactions: mrgraff
Comment

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Read below.

If you're not interested in the article, you don't have to read it. But other people may be.
If you have a different opinion than someone else, you don't have to agree with it. But other people might want to collect various perspectives.

Comment

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
But Telos101's wife would have discovered this new feature when she updated. As the report says, "Twitter and Facebook have offered automatic translation features for a while now", so I don't understand what makes this update any more newsworthy than thousands of other updates made every day. It all seems a bit arbitrary.
All filler, no killer...

Glassed Silver:mac

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you have a different opinion than someone else, you don't have to agree with it. But other people might want to collect various perspectives.
What perspectives (as far as it relates to that particular discussion)?
[doublepost=1466715829][/doublepost]
Not really anything to do with Apple.......

And btw the new instagram feed is terrible......
Just one of the most popular and widely used apps/services in iOS.

Comment

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
They need to announce an ipad version of their application...its been too long

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.