Instagram Announces New Camera Design and Create Mode, Tests Hiding Likes in Canada

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 30, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Instagram today announced the upcoming addition of some new features to the social networking app, including an updated camera design and a new Create Mode, aimed at making it easier to share content without a photo or video.

The updated camera design features a wheel with selectable camera modes and effects, along with dedicated sections for live broadcasting and the new Create Mode. Instagram says the new camera update is designed to make adding effects and interactive stickers to content simpler. Instagram plans to roll out the new camera and Create Mode around the world "soon."

[​IMG]

Instagram is also debuting a new shopping feature for finding items creators are using, and it's adding a new donation sticker that will let users raise money for nonprofit organizations.

[​IMG]

Separately, Instagram told TechCrunch that starting later this week, it will be running a test in Canada that removes the total number of likes on photos and video views in the Feed, Permalink pages, and Profile.

Instagram says this feature is being tested because it wants followers to "focus on the photos and videos you share, not how many likes they get." Only a small percentage of Canadian users will be added to the test.

[​IMG]

The person who created the post can still open the Likers window to see the names of people who hearted their posts, but no total count is provided. It's not clear how long the test will last and if Instagram will roll this out to other regions in the future.

Article Link: Instagram Announces New Camera Design and Create Mode, Tests Hiding Likes in Canada

2. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

But if Instagram is merely a competition for likes, how does it survive not having likes?

3. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

I would disagree with that — such a cynical way to look at it tbh

I have a page that I love to post my photography or life about, and I don’t have a mega tonne of followers, but I don’t care because it’s about sharing the content

And I know lots of other people who post about their family, their hobbies, or meme pages that are so much more than the like #

Sure we all love to see it go up, but to say the whole platform relies on that is taking a negligent simplified view

4. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

Another nail in the coffin screw Facebook so much!!!!

5. NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

Instagram: the only good alternative to Facebook, until Facebook bought it

6. newyorksole macrumors 68040

No but he’s right. I don’t think you realize how many people love seeing the number of likes and seeing how many people liked their own posts. It matters to a lot of people. Whether a celebrity or regular person.

Likes definitely make a person feel good. I personally don’t care if my likes are shown or not, but would feel weird posting something that gets few likes Lol.

7. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

You still see the amount of likes your content gets

8. Hairball macrumors regular

Hairball

Why doesn't Instagram bring back the ability to view content in sequential order? Screw these other BS "features."

9. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

All the social media so called celebs will be crying

10. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

Instagram already did away with likes for us Business users with videos. Yes, you can see them in your statistics breakdown, but for everyone else, “views” are prioritized. This may actually help us who use Instagram for marketing because compelling images that make people slow down and stop will move to the top of the feed. This means people who use artificial means to boost their profile (think spammers) will lose their ability to boost. Good content should prevail (in demand). Looking forward to this transition!

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

but it still ruins the whole influencer cult-- oh wait maybe it's not a bad thing that the numbers are being removed. as long as we can see it on our posts etc.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2019 ---
    at least as an option. let us decide how we view stuff

12. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

Social media shouldn’t be a popularity contest. It should be a way to stay in touch with family and friends, and share content with them. I hope the idea of not publicly showing the number of likes catches on.

13. mariusignorello macrumors 68000

I care much more about impressions, or how many people see my post. Likes and comments are irrelevant for marketing.
    Social media has never been about communicating with friends. It’s about marketing. Unless you’re making money you’re being sold to the highest bidder.
    And side note, some of those influencers that you make fun of make just as much if not more as a “normal job” from referral income, endorsements, etc. Instagram is their job, or rather, their business. Times are a changing.

14. dammyonline macrumors member

dammyonline

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Personally I welcome the change ... but my account is private and I'm not about to pay for or try to get 1000+ likes at all.

Their trying to reduce the conversation of ANYONE's IG account based on Likes or Followers .. but Likes are 1 track-minded anything that offers more than 1 thought or the not of a thot (lol see what I did there lol) ... then the content will thrive.

16. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

17. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Actually that’s exactly what it was for the first few years. Around the 2nd to 3rd year of Facebook is when advertising etc started. But yes it took off pretty fast and social media has been more about marketing than anything else for the past 5-6 years if not a bit longer

18. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

It doesn’t, and this idea is beyond stupid, and really, if I were a shareholder, downright startling lol.

Who is running Instagram, that clearly has no understanding of the underlying psychology which drives the user base? Pretty scary stuff from a company that size.