Instagram Launches New 'Focus' Feature for Portrait Mode-Style Photos

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Instagram today announced the launch of a new "Focus" mode, which is designed to allow Instagram users to take portrait images with a softly blurred background.

The feature is available as a new option next to "Superzoom" when you open up the camera. It can be used with the front or rear-facing cameras, and Instagram says as soon as someone is in the shot, the person will stay in focus while the background becomes blurred. Focus mode only works with a person in the frame.

[​IMG]

Focus mode can be used with either photos or videos, and it's designed to be similar to the Portrait Mode feature available on Apple's newer dual-lens devices. While Portrait Mode is a hardware-based feature available on the iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, Instagram's Focus mode is software based, making it available on a wider range of devices.

Instagram says Focus works on the iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and "select Android devices."

In addition to Focus, Instagram is also adding a new @mention sticker on iOS devices so you can use a sticker to tag your friends using the stories camera.

Both Focus and the new Mention sticker are available in the latest version of Instagram, which can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram Launches New 'Focus' Feature for Portrait Mode-Style Photos

2. taestell macrumors newbie

I wonder if this features uses the 3D image data on devices where it's available (Plus models and X).

3. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

Not sure if the first image is a "taken" photo or still being focused or whatever, but it looks like a pretty bad filter.

4. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Cosmosent

We'll see who has the better implementation !

5. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

6. ryne275 macrumors newbie

Is the update out yet? Not seeing it on my SE

7. ediks macrumors regular

proof that iphones 6s and later can have front facing portrait ?

8. JonnyRossa macrumors newbie

JonnyRossa

Rather, it's proof that portrait mode can be emulated using software, but that method will never be as good as the hardware-based portrait mode the newer phones are using.

9. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Can't see the update on my device. Must be the typical Instagram=fashion of releasing updates, let randomly selected accounts "beta test" the feature. :p

10. MacSince1985 macrumors 6502

This looks like just a variation on the old tilt-shift feature, probably adjusted to contour the face better. The iPhone portrait mode is definitely better, but if you want a nice narrow depth-of-field effect, nothing beats a good old SLR.

11. R10k macrumors member

The Focus app (not the feature, the app) gets pretty darn close sometimes!

12. rodpascoe macrumors regular

rodpascoe

For a software feature on a free app it's pretty good.

13. elmughrabi macrumors newbie

elmughrabi

well, it has been more than a month and I didn't get this feature yet!
    I have iPhone 7. I did delete the app and installed it again but nothing happened!
    anyone has any tip or help ?

14. Ginalina Suspended

Ginalina