Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Something that these youngins came up with. According to Urban Dictionary (source of all great things /s) it stands for 'That Ho over There' because that's something that normal people say in day to day conversations.

Social media has destroyed society. In fact one of my coworkers was complaining that her new husband isn't an 'Instagram Husband' which I don't even know what that means, let alone why one would be complaining about it.

Lol thanks for the definition.

I agree with most of that, however, I will say that being on the same networks makes it easier to share stuff to your better half.

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
YouTube will never die , vertical videos not a bad idea but videos made for YouTube or tv looks too forced . They should only allow videos recorded that way

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
YouTube will never die , vertical videos not a bad idea but videos made for YouTube or tv looks too forced . They should only allow videos recorded that way

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that videos should only be allowed to be recorded in portrait or in landscape orientation.

One of these answers is correct, the other is morally reprehensible.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Phones should have been unable to record vertical videos from the get go. I remember wondering for ages why instead of shooting an abomination that is a vertical video, it would shoot a standard horizontal video with just a smaller view finder on the vertical screen. But makers never did that and now we are stuck with vertical videos.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
I'm not sure if you're suggesting that videos should only be allowed to be recorded in portrait or in landscape orientation.

One of these answers is correct, the other is morally reprehensible.
portrait that’s the whole point of the app, but what I meant now there’s not enough content so most of the videos there are recored in landscape and zoomed in

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
YouTube was a bundled app in iPhone OS 1.0. Even though Android was in development, there were no Android phones on the market. This made-up example is just the worst.

I fear for future generations trying to learn facts in a sea of unending misinformation.

I guess I needed an "/s" after my first paragraph. I do see a distortion of a made up example on my part. I appologize for that. I should have thought more throughly for a bona fide non-Apple service that later became accessible.

You missed my point that [Blank] OS vs [Blank] OS exclusivity is petty. Also glossed over is that more companies bend over backwards to cater to Apple users; that there is a reciprocal deficit in what Apple gives back.

Last edited:

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
portrait that’s the whole point of the app, but what I meant now there’s not enough content so most of the videos there are recored in landscape and zoomed in

So you're saying you fall into the morally reprehensible category. Got it.

Nothing I, nor the majority of the people I follow, shoot in portrait. And nine times out of ten any video is also, properly, in landscape (and not cropped).

Fugabutacus

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Instagram and Facebook are quickly becoming the same thing. It would be completely logical to roll them into the same app. But it won't happen, because they need Instagram to hold on to young people. Facebook as a brand is poison if you're under 25. The "old person app."

I think there's a gap in the market right now for a well-built social network based on simplicity and user control.

Nothing I, nor the majority of the people I follow, shoot in portrait. And nine times out of ten any video is also, properly, in landscape (and not cropped).

Portrait definitely has its place and can be great, but it 100% needs to be shot and produced specifically for portrait, no cropping.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
When has facebook ever given us something we didn't know we wanted? For that matter, when has facebook ever given us something we did want?

IG (and FB) users: Give us back chronological feeds.

IG/FB: HERE'S 60 MINUTE VERTICAL VIDEOS!
Hahahah!
Totally agree

I'd like to upload videos to play them landacape, who the hell, besides kardashians and models, wants to upload a vertical video longer than 1min?!? What are you going to do in front of the camera?

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I just tried this app and it’s still only made for the iPhone. No dedicated full screen iPad app. Epic fail.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
No. Just no.

I remember the good ol' days when you simply just shared photos on IG.

bpp85

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Europe
Portrait definitely has its place and can be great, but it 100% needs to be shot and produced specifically for portrait, no cropping.
I agree, a couple of people I follow uploaded nice videos for portrait mode and it looked great.

Since we are spending more and more time on our phones I think having a video service for mobiles can be a good idea. But cropped videos which some people uploaded look horrible.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
THIS:

Phones should have been unable to record vertical videos from the get go. I remember wondering for ages why instead of shooting an abomination that is a vertical video, it would shoot a standard horizontal video with just a smaller view finder on the vertical screen. But makers never did that and now we are stuck with vertical videos.

Count me in on the vertical video haters in the world. It's beyond my ability to comprehend why people feel it's okay to do this. When Instagram er Facebook stated they were allowing video and it would be vertical video only "because that's how most people record video on their phones" I almost S* a brick. That's all we need - more crap video out there.

I refuse to watch vertical video - anything shot that way gets bypassed and or deleted when possible. Not sure about any others here, but I've put in an iOS feature request to have a message display on the iDevice when someone tries to start shooting vertical video. Received a message back that request had already been entered by someone else. Hopefully, they will put that in there in the near future.....doubt it though.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

JayJohnPaul

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2014
Dawnbreak City
I couldn’t care less whether it’s horizontal or vertical... I just hope they don’t add non-skippable 15-second (sometimes longer) ads to a pointless 20-second video (usually filmed with a potato) like on Facebook. Good luck watching an hour long video of your Instagram friend staring at a wall with non-skippable ads.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.