Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram today announced the launch of IGTV, a new video streaming service that's designed to compete with YouTube. The news was shared during a live broadcast from Instagram's headquarters in San Francisco.

With the launch of IGTV, which is mobile first and built with smartphones in mind, content creators on Instagram can now upload videos that are as long as one hour to Instagram, up from a single minute.

instagramigtv-800x533.jpg

IGTV focuses on full-screen vertical video, with the ability to interact with other users while watching videos. Anyone can upload IGTV content to Instagram starting today.

Longer-form video content on the social network can be discovered through the IGTV section of the Explore Tab, with Instagram highlighting popular videos from well-known Instagram users. Instagram is also releasing a standalone IGTV app that's going to launch in the next few weeks.

instagramigtv2-800x679.jpg

In the upcoming IGTV app, content will begin playing as soon as it's opened, which Instagram says is meant to be "just like turning on the TV." You'll be able to watch content from people you already follow on Instagram, with the new app also suggesting content based on your interests.

IGTV has channels that are based around creators. When you follow a creator, their content will be displayed for you to watch.

Instagram today also announced that it now boasts 1 billion monthly active users, giving it a huge user base for the new IGTV video service.

Update: The new IGTV app is now available for download from the iOS App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram Launches New 'IGTV' Video Hub for Longer-Form Content [Updated]

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
I miss the days when Instagram was iOS-only and an independent company.

I long for the days when YouTube, a Google company, was Android-only. :cool: That's what you sound like. If the tech world didn't coddle Apple in universal access, Microsoft Office wouldn't be available to 10% who use Mac OS. Exclusivity can work both ways. You reeeally want Insta to be Apple-only? o_O

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Are they paying creators? The only reason I exclusively upload to YouTube is because I make $300-$400 a month on YouTube. If Instagram, Vimeo and Snapchat want to pay me, I'm happy to upload there as well.

Out of curiosity, does your agreement with YouTube prevent you from uploading to other places?

Also out of curiosity, what type(s) of content do you produce?

Reactions: orbital~debris

J___o___h___n

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
They’re clueless about what their users actually want. “I want one hour vertical videos please” said no-one ever!

Serious content creators want paying. Until they share their revenue streams - Instagram will never come close to YouTube.

Reactions: PimpDaddy

linkmaster02

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
They’re clueless about what their users actually want. “I want one hour vertical videos please” said no-one ever!
1. Just to play devils advocate, have you ever conducted user research to find out that user's don't want this?
2. Apple is famous for giving users what they didn't know they wanted. Maybe Instagram can pull it off too.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
1. Just to play devils advocate, have you ever conducted user research to find out that user's don't want this?
2. Apple is famous for giving users what they didn't know they wanted. Maybe Instagram can pull it off too.

When has facebook ever given us something we didn't know we wanted? For that matter, when has facebook ever given us something we did want?

IG (and FB) users: Give us back chronological feeds.

IG/FB: HERE'S 60 MINUTE VERTICAL VIDEOS!

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Out of curiosity, does your agreement with YouTube prevent you from uploading to other places?

Also out of curiosity, what type(s) of content do you produce?

Nope, I can put content anywhere I want. Technically, they bar me from revealing what I make, CPM, etc but I'm very open about it and haven't had any issues. I make how-to and review videos on various car and motorcycle parts. Very niche but it's stuff I was buying anyway and if I can subsidize my spending with some YouTub revenue, why not. I have heard some people steal my content and upload to Facebook or other sites. which sucks but those places don't allow me to monetize my videos anyway so it's not a threat really. I wish more places allowed people to make money so easily on any video they upload.

https://youtube.com/adamjackson1984 is the channel.

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Something that these youngins came up with. According to Urban Dictionary (source of all great things /s) it stands for 'That Ho over There' because that's something that normal people say in day to day conversations.

Social media has destroyed society. In fact one of my coworkers was complaining that her new husband isn't an 'Instagram Husband' which I don't even know what that means, let alone why one would be complaining about it.

J___o___h___n

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017

Fair point, but I have spoken with some friends and they all repeat the same things. They all want the chronological feed back and less ads... but hey, it might take off.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
They might as well just throw out Instagram altogether since the feature set is starting to match Facebook’s exactly... next thing you know we’re going to have a separate IG Messaging app, marketplace, etc... smdh IG stopped being IG when they changed the timeline sort order.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
While I don’t like vertical videos, and Instagram in general, any competition in the online video market is good IMO. YouTube is getting really long in the tooth and the sheer number of clickbait type videos with robot voices is infuriating.

I can’t even watch videos on how to grow mint without avoiding it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.