Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram today debuted a new feature called "Nametag," which is a customizable identification card that's designed to allow people to easily find your Instagram profile when it's scanned.

The Nametag feature makes it simpler for people who you meet in real life to follow you on Instagram. You can set up your Nametag by going to your profile, tapping the hamburger button at the top, and selecting the "Nametag" option.

instagramnametags.jpg

Nametags can be personalized with various colors, emojis, selfies, and stickers.

Scanning a Nametag is done within the Instagram app through swiping right into the camera or tapping on the camera and choosing the "Scan a Nametag" option. Nametags can also be shared in text messages and on other social media sites.

In addition to Nametags, Instagram is also launching a new School Communities test feature. School Communities is designed to let you connect with other students or recent grades from your university.

Connecting to other users is done in a "common space" at several test universities across the United States. Those who are at a test site and choose to join can add a line to their profile listing university, class year, and relevant groups.

Everyone who is participating in the Communities feature can see a directory listing of all of the people who have added the same university.

The new Nametag feature is rolling out to iOS users starting today. School Communities are in "some US universities" and will be expanded to additional universities in the coming weeks.

Article Link: Instagram Launches New 'Nametag' Feature for Adding Friends IRL

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Note the first sentence in the last paragraph. It's rolling out starting today. Instagram and Facebook slowly roll out new features. If it's not there for you right now, it will be in the coming days/weeks. Nothing you can do until then.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Rolling out today my ***! I've yet to get the music feature in Stories, and that's been out for months!

P.S. Nevermind, the Nametag feature has been enabled for me just now.

Last edited:

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
It gets worse and worse. Honestly if someone made anything else decent I’d delete it in a second! I’m sure a lot of other would to.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I can see this being useful, but Facebook is just moving business over to IG. The app is getting bloated.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Why do you say that?
They arę adding layers of functionality that mimic the Facebook app in it's old days. For now it's still reasonable, but I'm sure Zuck et al. are aware people are turning away from FB and are trying to dilute an app that was once a focused photo sharing app into another multipurpose bloat.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
They arę adding layers of functionality that mimic the Facebook app in it's old days. For now it's still reasonable, but I'm sure Zuck et al. are aware people are turning away from FB and are trying to dilute an app that was once a focused photo sharing app into another multipurpose bloat.

All apps evolve and add functionality with time. Doesn't matter if Facebook owns them or not. Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, etc have all added a TON of functionality over the years.

You can't standstill. People get bored and they move on if you do. They have to add new features to get users coming back.

Facebook is one of the very best at this. They test a TON. We only see a small percentage of what's successful. Only when they know that a feature increases the time a user spends with the app do they roll it out to the rest of the network.

I don't see Instagram being diluted. The focus is still as it always was. It just offers more ways to connect with others. More ways to share photos and video. More ways to find out about the products we see in it. And in this case, an easier way to let someone follow you or follow them, tucked away in a spot that doesn't hurt the app and won't impact you 99.9% of the time other than when you want to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.