Instagram-like application for MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Daffodil, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

On a friend's recommendation, I downloaded the Instagram app for my ipod touch, and have been having a lot of fun with it. Downside is, of course, picture quality with the ipod camera is pretty terrible.

Therefore, I was wondering if there is any image-processing software similar to it that I could use on my computer to edit pictures uploaded from my regular camera? I know you can do a lot of stuff in iPhoto, but I find it rather fiddly, and takes a lot of time, vs. instagram's instant filters and exceedingly rudimentary editing capabilities. Again, I'm not really looking for something professional, just something to play around with for fun.

So, short of getting much more acquainted with iPhoto, any suggestions for software I could use?

(Sorry, this seems like sort of a noob-question, and I'm not sure if it's even in the right forum... :eek: )

2. Daffodil thread starter macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Ooh, that looks pretty cool! Do you have any personal experience with it?

3. iphonecrazyful macrumors member

I don't I'm afraid but i've been looking for an Instagram-like app for my mac as well.

4. Daffodil thread starter macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Cool, well, since it isn't too expensive, I think I'm going to buy it and see how I like it. I'll be sure to report back :D

5. littledude8209 macrumors regular

Camerabag is a good option - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camerabag-desktop/id412650373?mt=12

6. littledude8209 macrumors regular

7. Daffodil thread starter macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Yeah, Camerabag's reviews seemed pretty terrible...

8. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Anything new since ?
    I downloaded Flare trial and it's not bad but I'm looking for other alternatives. Analog looks too limited.
    Any others ?

9. Daffodil thread starter macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I settled for Flare, and although I haven't used it too much, I didn't find it to be too limited for my pretty "straighforward" editing purposes. It's pretty intuitive, and what I wanted was something not too complex, and it met those requirements...

I didn't keep looking, so consequently don't have additional information to add, but maybe others can chime in? Your results may vary, based on what your purpose is... :)

10. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Although there are a lot of presets (including the ones you can download), I find them not to be as good/beautiful as Instagram's ones.

11. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I ended up buying Analog. Less filters (but more borders options) but they are way better looking IMO and developers said they'll add filters.
    Pretty happy with my purchase so far.

12. Daffodil thread starter macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Cool - I'd be interested if you report back once you've familiarized yourself with it more.

Although I agree that the presets in Flare weren't as nice as Instagram's, I just sat down and made some new more Instagram-like ones since you can make your own presets pretty easily...

13. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

How did you go about making more presets? Can you share?

14. Daffodil thread starter macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I'm not much of an artist, so I'd rather not share... :eek:

But as far as making your own, if you go to the edit mode and make your changes manually, then there's a button in the lower right corner "Save as Preset" and voila, it'll end up with all the other presets.

I know there also were a bunch of presets you could download for free from their site, so you could check that out too...

15. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Thanks.

16. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

FYI, I just bought FX Studio (Link:http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id467893334?mt=12 at $1,99 at the moment) and so far, it beats Flare and Analog IMO.
    It's faster, has a god number of effects, has precise manual controls and other picture enhancing tools.

Give it a try.

17. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I got FX photo studio Pro in a BUndle recently and I have to say, it has too many filters, you get lost.
    But it may be useful for those of you that aren't as comfortable using iPhoto to achieve the desired effect.
    I also have Flare, and find it much better and straightforward, plus its beautiful.