Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram.jpg
Social media app Instagram is planning to launch a new feature that allows its users personalized control over the comments shared on each of their posts.

The company has long had blanket rules for what constitutes appropriate speech on its network, but the new comment filter ability will let each user tweak specific rules to their own liking, since "different words or phrases are offensive to different people" (via The Washington Post).

Some businesses have already gotten a look at the new feature, letting them automatically weed out comments and posters with specific triggering phrases. In the next few weeks, more "high-profile accounts" will get their hands on comment moderation, with the ability to also switch comments off completely on a post-by-post basis.
"Our goal is to make Instagram a friendly, fun and, most importantly, safe place for self expression," said Instagram's head of public policy, Nicky Jackson Colaco, in a statement to The Post. "We have slowly begun to offer accounts with high volume comment threads the option to moderate their comment experience. As we learn, we look forward to improving the comment experience for our broader community."
Normal users will have to wait a while longer to moderate their own posts, since Instagram said it will launch the feature to all its users "in the coming months." The company is planning on using feedback from higher-volume accounts to fine tune the new feature before handing it out to its more than 300 million daily active users.

Instagram is available for free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Instagram Plans Launch of New Comment Moderation Feature for All Users

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm not sure I understand how exactly this will work...

Will the people who upload content be able to automatically censor the comments on their posts? Or will it be that people who read comments can have stuff automatically censored for them? Or both?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
It'd be nice to have more customisable search results. If I browse search I see loads of posts which have been copied from tumblr. I'm all for equal rights but sometimes I want photography, artwork, etc, not condecending posts directed at anti-whatever people.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
It'd be nice to have more customisable search results. If I browse search I see loads of posts which have been copied from tumblr. I'm all for equal rights but sometimes I want photography, artwork, etc, not condecending posts directed at anti-whatever people.

I think a common problem with super popular simple services like Insta is that you can't filter your own feed in any way.

Personally I will unfollow you even if I like you as a person because the images you post regularly annoy me. I'm being forced to filter in that way.

Recently I made a second account for posting skateboarding related content and I follow more liberally on that account as it is more of a promotional type account than a personal representation of my life. Having two accounts has been nice because I have two feeds I can look through, a filtered, and unfiltered feed.

Is providing filtering for the end user a challenge in some way or do you people here think that it's just generally a thing that doesn't really benefit the corporation providing the service?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
it would be nice to get an iPad app too...
Silly user, the iPad is for content consumption only. They want people posting on Instagram, not looking at content on Instagram. Social media is all about having the most users, not actually monetizing those users.

Some people, I tell you, they just can't be happy no matter what! :D

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I think a common problem with super popular simple services like Insta is that you can't filter your own feed in any way.

Personally I will unfollow you even if I like you as a person because the images you post regularly annoy me. I'm being forced to filter in that way.

Recently I made a second account for posting skateboarding related content and I follow more liberally on that account as it is more of a promotional type account than a personal representation of my life. Having two accounts has been nice because I have two feeds I can look through, a filtered, and unfiltered feed.

Is providing filtering for the end user a challenge in some way or do you people here think that it's just generally a thing that doesn't really benefit the corporation providing the service?

I'm not sure, but Instagram is an interesting one. If I like one of my friends holiday photos, because of the tags they use I can occasionally have fairly revealing photos of strangers come up on the Search tab marked as "Based on Photos You Liked" ... Leaves a great impression with the other half, I can tell you!

Reactions: Sharewaredemon

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Hey IG, how about you deal with the insane about of spam users? It is quite annoying and almost to the point that I want to quit the service for awhile.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
What a horrible way to implement "safe spaces". Imagine a guy with million followers. How do you moderate?

South Park (last season) gave an example on how. Instagram is copying it.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Don't post them in the first place.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the sad truth is that anything posted online can be copied. If you wish to preserve ownership, the only thing to do is to keep them offline, I'm sad to say.

I just want to block reposts via my account. Shouldn't be that hard for them to implement. If someone wants to screen shot their entire iOS screen, more power to them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just want to block reposts via my account. Shouldn't be that hard for them to implement. If someone wants to screen shot their entire iOS screen, more power to them.
Reposts? I've seen ways to direct message someone something you see but I haven't seen reposts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.