Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram is testing a new feature that will send an alert whenever you take a screenshot of a story, effectively putting an end to the practice of covertly taking screenshots of the temporary story posts on the social network.

News of the new feature was shared on Twitter by a user who posted an image of a screenshot warning message. Instagram plans to offer a one-time warning letting screenshotters know that subsequent screenshots or screen recordings will be visible to the person who posted the story.

instagramscreenshotwarning.jpg
Image via Twitter user Mulan

The feature is being tested with a small number of users. Participants can see who took a screenshot of their story by going to the list of story viewers and checking to see if there are camera icons next to any of the names. A flash icon denotes a user who took a screenshot.

Instagram does not plan to send out notifications when a screenshot of a story is captured, but it will be visible in the list of people who viewed the story.

PSA: How you get notified on Instagram when someone took a screenshot of your Stories pic.twitter.com/Iua2QeyskF - iz reading On the Edge of Scandal 🍑 (@readbyher) February 11, 2018

Instagram confirmed to TechCrunch that the feature is in testing right now: "We are always testing ways to improve the experience on Instagram and make it easier to share any moment with the people who matter to you."

It's not yet clear if and when Instagram will officially introduce this feature.

Article Link: Instagram Testing Feature That Alerts Users When You Screenshot a Story

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Thieves will always find a way. I’m not even a thief but a photographer myself and what immediately came to mind was creating fake accounts to snap content and then post it somewhere else. Easy.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Wasn’t aware they didn’t tell the user, going to screenshot away instead of using my other iPhone to download lol

Reactions: Mizouse

expiredyogurt

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
not america
next level reward for attention whore womens.
in this age, likes and thumbs up are no longer the hot thing, it's how many people can you get to screenshot your **** is the next hot thing.
likes can be bought and most of them are fake and people might accidentally double tap to like so they dont care about it anymore.
screenshot on the other hand requires more effort and it gives them pleasure to see people saving their photos.
sucks for the small time girls where they will be able to see which one of their guy friends are creeping them but for social media celeb its just another way to satisfy their ego

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don’t want someone to screenshot your photos don’t post em on social media.

Well TD not that simple. Truth be told I take screenshots and thos hot ladies and their motivational posts do help motivate me in the gym from time to time.

That said I can just imagine a bunch of perverts using photoshop and other apps and modifying pictures or videos and selling them online or god knows what.

Having that mentality as a generic doesn’t help anyone. There are situations where what we see or feel may not so easily apply in other situations. I’m personally learning this and grateful for the learning.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I don’t think that an application should know when I am taking a screenshot, it is happening at the OS level and it shouldn’t be able to be caught and alerted on by an application.

I know, right? What business does an app have knowing I took a screenshot?

Also, what's with this new idiotic concept of it being creepy or stalkery to save a screenshot? If you don't want people saving your content, don't post it. We really don't need people depending on psuedo-DRM in apps like Instagram and thinking they are safe from having people copy their precious content, when they are actually not. The Internet and social media should be about sharing content anyway, not restricting it.

Lemonsoon

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Who gives a f
You can simply use a second old phone to copy the screen, this is idiotic as its not going to stop people from being able to take screens

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Who gives a f
You can simply use a second old phone to copy the screen, this is idiotic as its not going to stop people from being able to take screens

I honestly don't feel the dialog and pursuit is idiotic. Current efforts is yes, but does that mean it should be ignored because it's not a perfect solution?? Hmm.

Just took the bus home from a grueling workout and boxing ... 2 teenagers across from me, a couple, decided to take selfies ... like 15 of them. Like anyone of their friends wants to see pictures of the cute couple on a TTC bus?!?? Yet what I found annoying was the complete lack/disregard to consider anything in the background - ME.

I pointed out to them to really look at the pictures they took. Few moments later the guy started laughing his ass off, the girl didn't see the 2 pics. She started getting upset (like all teens that feel their left out of a good joke, they immediately think it's about them). Her boyfriend motioned to me to tell her and I pointed out the blowjob back-gas face and the finger I made in 2 of their pictures. I then decided to tell her ... selfies ... make them memorable, not numerous. That nobody would ask them for a selfie on a bus and to pay more attention to the whole picture not just how her cheap makeup looks or how thin she looks (all pics taken a foot above their heads).

I wish smartphones would be able to filter out a person trying to avoid being in a picture ... but no THAT will NOT work. As someone else said earlier in this thread "Don't post pictures online if you want to be private". In what happened earlier I didn't have a CHOICE to be in these selfies just chose to be super silly to make a point for consideration. I wonder how you'd feel in a comical photo of you posted. Pictures are searchable by faces via Google. Depending on the dialog or subtitles this can have serious ramifications to your employment and you didn't even know nor have a choice in the pic that you ended up being in. So consider more beyond your own frame of self. or Selfie.

Reactions: 5105973

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I know, right? What business does an app have knowing I took a screenshot?

This is a hair away from saying “this is my device and I can do/harass whoever/whatever I want”. You might not think about it this way, but some people think there are no strings attached, similar to the physical reality.

The majority of people usually behave. A minority doesn’t. And this is why we can’t have nice things.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
That said I can just imagine a bunch of perverts using photoshop and other apps and modifying pictures or videos and selling them online or god knows what.

But what good is it after the event?
The screenshots been taken and the person can go whatever they want, whenever they want with it.

Will the person who had their pic screenshot now search google images everyday for their stolen pic? Or send a strongly worded messsge asking them to delete the pic?

It’s like having a burglar alarm on your house that only goes off after they have left!
[doublepost=1518508650][/doublepost]
Just took the bus home from a grueling workout and boxing ... 2 teenagers across from me, a couple, decided to take selfies ... like 15 of them. Like anyone of their friends wants to see pictures of the cute couple on a TTC bus?!?? Yet what I found annoying was the complete lack/disregard to consider anything in the background - ME.

In the UK at least when you’re in a public view or private property accessible to the public, your photo can be taken by another person for personal use.

The police regard it as a civil matter, but not illegal.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q717.htm

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
With how much Instagram has copied Snapchat, I'm surprised this wasn't implemented a long time ago.
Time to start taking screenshots of peoples stories ;)

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.