Instagram Testing Tap-to-Advance Instead of Scrolling Through Posts

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Instagram is testing a new way of navigating through posts - by tapping through them, just like users tap through Stories.

The new navigation system sees users tapping the sides of the screen instead of scrolling up and down with their finger to advance forwards and backwards between posts, which can get tiring after a while.

[​IMG]

It also means users always see media full-screen rather than having to adjust the view with a finger scroll to see the entire post. It's a navigation method that was first used by Snapchat, a platform Instagram isn't shy of taking cues from.

Instagram confirmed to TechCrunch that it is testing tap-to-advance in the Explore tab with a small number of users, who were presented with a pop-up in the app explaining the change.

As for whether the system could be adopted for the main feed, a spokesperson for Instagram said that wasn't something it was actively thinking about at the moment.

Article Link: Instagram Testing Tap-to-Advance Instead of Scrolling Through Posts

2. rturner2 macrumors 6502a

3. Goldex macrumors member

4. arkhanjel macrumors regular

arkhanjel

Meh. What would go over way better with users is making the feed chronological again.

5. picaman macrumors member

picaman

6. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

I’ve thought this. Can’t remember what the app was that I used with it.

This way however means the can insert a nice full screen or half screen ad ever 20 “page turns”.

7. HacKage macrumors 6502

It also means that along with real posts always taking up the full screen, adverts will also take up the full screen and wont be able to just be quickly flicked past when you work out that they are placed every 5 posts.

8. lifeisepic macrumors 6502

lifeisepic

No doubt so they can shove more ads in your face like they do with stories.

9. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

You should see the amount of ads and horrific clickbait in Snapchat! :eek::confused:

10. rmoliv macrumors 6502

11. Rocco83 macrumors 6502

I’m sorry, but if you are on Instagram for long enough periods that you are experiencing “thumb fatigue” you really need to evaluate what you are doing with your life.

Regardless, this has less to do about saving the poor thumbs of those who would rather live vicariously through influencers; and more to do with forced advertisements from Facebook.

12. mollyc macrumors 65816

As a photographer, I engage with a lot of people on IG - it's the perfect platform for photographers. I never watch the IG TV and only rarely the stories (and then only select accounts). I miss the days where my IG feed was just a collection of lovely photos and inspiration.

13. MrJeffreyGee macrumors member

MrJeffreyGee

Sooo instead of thumb fatigue... You get tap fatigue. Now if only they come up with something for ad fatigue.

14. JamesBrock macrumors newbie

I could also see them forcing you to look at the ad, similar to YouTube. They could make you wait several seconds before you can skip the ad.

15. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Ding-ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!

You're exactly right.

16. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Kinda of expecting the new front facing camera wizardry to allow touchless scrolling based on eye position on the screen. And they will call it... Retinal Scrolling.

Touching our screens is so 2018. :D

17. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This will fail miserably. When will Insta..errr..Facebook learn? (they probably never will)

18. dingle19 macrumors member

Alright, this will end my instagram activity if it happens. No great loss, but end of an era

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

What's the problem with this exactly? (Assuming this doesn't remove the usual scrolling.)

20. rotax macrumors regular

OMG Twitter allows more characters .... Instagram allows tap to advance! OMG

The technology is astounding. The Human factors advances are groundbreaking. Really? this is news that anyone cares about?

21. DblHelix macrumors 6502

I hate stories. They force this on us I am done with instagram

22. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

I don’t care; I just want to see infinite scrolling abandoned and discreet pages put back everywhere.

23. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

Thumb scrolling fatigue?!
    How about, get back to work already!!