Instagram Testing Tap-to-Advance Instead of Scrolling Through Posts

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram is testing a new way of navigating through posts - by tapping through them, just like users tap through Stories.

The new navigation system sees users tapping the sides of the screen instead of scrolling up and down with their finger to advance forwards and backwards between posts, which can get tiring after a while.

By eliminating thumb swipe fatigue and ensuring the full post always appears on screen, testing tap-to-advance in Explore could get us spending more time on Instagram https://t.co/l2yIHAHUkC pic.twitter.com/Mr0khQQATH - Josh Constine (@JoshConstine) October 11, 2018

It also means users always see media full-screen rather than having to adjust the view with a finger scroll to see the entire post. It's a navigation method that was first used by Snapchat, a platform Instagram isn't shy of taking cues from.

Instagram confirmed to TechCrunch that it is testing tap-to-advance in the Explore tab with a small number of users, who were presented with a pop-up in the app explaining the change.

As for whether the system could be adopted for the main feed, a spokesperson for Instagram said that wasn't something it was actively thinking about at the moment.

Article Link: Instagram Testing Tap-to-Advance Instead of Scrolling Through Posts

LiE_

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2013
UK
No doubt so they can shove more ads in your face like they do with stories.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Ohio
I’m sorry, but if you are on Instagram for long enough periods that you are experiencing “thumb fatigue” you really need to evaluate what you are doing with your life.

Regardless, this has less to do about saving the poor thumbs of those who would rather live vicariously through influencers; and more to do with forced advertisements from Facebook.

Reactions: An Apple a day...

mollyc

macrumors 68030
Aug 18, 2016
As a photographer, I engage with a lot of people on IG - it's the perfect platform for photographers. I never watch the IG TV and only rarely the stories (and then only select accounts). I miss the days where my IG feed was just a collection of lovely photos and inspiration.

JamesBrock

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
It also means that along with real posts always taking up the full screen, adverts will also take up the full screen and wont be able to just be quickly flicked past when you work out that they are placed every 5 posts.
I could also see them forcing you to look at the ad, similar to YouTube. They could make you wait several seconds before you can skip the ad.

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Kinda of expecting the new front facing camera wizardry to allow touchless scrolling based on eye position on the screen. And they will call it... Retinal Scrolling.

Touching our screens is so 2018. :D

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
This will fail miserably. When will Insta..errr..Facebook learn? (they probably never will)

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
OMG Twitter allows more characters .... Instagram allows tap to advance! OMG

The technology is astounding. The Human factors advances are groundbreaking. Really? this is news that anyone cares about?

Reactions: AlumaMac

dysamoria

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2011
I don’t care; I just want to see infinite scrolling abandoned and discreet pages put back everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.