Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's F8 developer conference, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg unveiled some new features that are coming soon to Instagram, which is owned by Facebook.

Instagram's Explore tab will be getting a new look that's more focused on various topics.

videochatinstagram-800x428.jpg

Facebook also plans to add a new video chat feature to Instagram, allowing two or more people to chat with each other using a FaceTime or Skype-style video chatting interface.

You can use the video chat feature to chat one-on-one with someone or with a group of people, and you can chat while continuing to browse Instagram.

Instagram is also gaining an AR Camera Effects platform, which will allow Instagram photos to be enhanced with augmented reality effects.

It's not quite clear exactly when these new features will be coming to Instagram.

Article Link: Instagram to Gain Revamped Explore Tool, Video Chat and AR Camera Effects

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Seems very unnecessary to what Instagram is all about - drawing it even closer to Snapchat. I like Instagram ok but they are making it harder to like with this added on top.
I don’t use either service but I did use Facebook for a few years and I watched it get loaded down and creaky with all of the extraneous data mining clutter that creepy stalker CEO insisted be added to it. It totally destroyed what had been a surprisingly pleasant and positive experience initially.

I see Z-Creep learns nothing from his mistakes.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I'll counter the thoughts so far. I like what they've done. They've given additional features while still continuing to stick with the main feature. Live video/stories are all implemented in a way they aren't very intrusive to the viewing experience of photos/videos in a feed or profile. Hopefully they don't start mixing stories/live videos in the newsfeed. But for those of us that follow creators, it's really becoming a pretty incredible experience. Live videos showing tutorial, on the scene stuff etc. I guess if you're just a general user following friends that don't fully utilize it, then maybe you don't see the point.

I'd like to see them implement list feeds for groups you want to see. A feed for my close family/friends, a feed for 'inspiration,' a feed for work related content, etc.

Reactions: martyjmclean

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
I'll counter the thoughts so far. I like what they've done.

I wish I could feel the same but I have noticed a definite degradation in quality of posts since 'Stories' was rolled out. People I follow who once used to post pleasing photos now spend more time posting 'stories' with poor quality videos and animated gifs with stupid stickers all over them. Some rarely post to the traditional Insta feed anymore and when some do they also post a 'story' telling you they posted to the traditional feed which just adds more unnecessary scrolling past posts I don't care about.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Instagram is becoming the new snapchat/facebook app. I've notice a huge increase in ads on Insta. Every 3rd post is an ad. I don't like the stories either. I also don't need VR or video calling.

Getting to the point where I may just as well delete my account and remove the app. Really wish there was a better alternative that stuck to it's roots! PICTURES and nothing more.

mchenrytl

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
How about instead of focusing on chat, you first develop an Instagram app for the iPad. I agree, I prefer when it was just pictures. I find stories very annoying and disruptive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.