Instagram to Test Redesigned User Profiles Over the Coming Weeks

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Instagram says it is testing new layout designs for user profiles over the next few weeks that will make them easier to use and better at helping people connect with each other on the social network.

[​IMG]

The company announced the upcoming changes on its official blog, explaining that it would experiment in phases with various profile combinations and listen to user feedback:
    The images above provided by Instagram demonstrate the types of changes that users can expect to see in their own and other users' outward-facing profiles. For example, profile bios are shown sitting alongside profile pictures, while the Follow and Message buttons are lined up together below them.

Interestingly, the screens also show profile designs in which follower counts are less prominent, a move that Twitter also recently made to its iOS app in an effort to prioritize "meaningful" conversation over retweets, follows, and likes.

Article Link: Instagram to Test Redesigned User Profiles Over the Coming Weeks

2. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

Listen to users!!! Ye ok, shut it Facebook. Just another way to ruin a once brilliant platform for monetization and bad user experience for anyone that doesn’t sell something. God I hate Facebook so much, it’s such a disgusting vacuum of opportunistic manipulation of human beings to make money. I hope I live to see that company crumble to pieces.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 22, 2018 ---
    Improved user experience - Post post ad ad post ad ad post post ad ad ad post ad ad ad ad ad post ad ad ad. *Quits app. What’s the point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. ImperfectLion macrumors newbie

This is the beginning of Facebook cluttering the entire app.
    The new profiles look so squashed, there’s too much going on

4. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Just give us the ability to make some photos public and some private, like Facebook.

5. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

6. alpi123 macrumors 6502

alpi123

Exactly. Looks so off and wrong, I don't know who even gave this idea...

7. HacKage macrumors 6502

I deleted my account last week after having an in bed conversation with my partner about a drink that I seen a few years ago, and isn't even available in my country. The next morning, I was shown an advert for this brand in my Story timeline.

I have heard of allsorts of stories about how Facebook listens, but considering this was a product that I hadn't seen in years, so haven't searched for or anything, and isn't even available where I am, I am 100% certain that they were listening to the conversation somehow and listening for buzzwords to focus adverts. There is literally no way possible that it was random, and it would make no sense to show an advert for a product not available in my country to me.

As soon as that happened I deleted both accounts and the apps. They overstepped the mark. I don't doubt that everything like my Alexa or Siri is listening, and using that data for whatever, but I hate adverts more than anything else, and the fact they somehow have the ability to listen when when my phone screen is off, and then force adverts onto me for using their service is not on.

8. Alessandro_d21 macrumors newbie

Alessandro_d21

Still waiting for the Instagram App to be adjusted for the iPad...

9. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

Instagram recently awarded their "Innovation of The Year" award to a SW designer who redesigned the smile emoji to be tilted by 30 degrees. When she presented the improved Emoji to her managers they stood up and cheered. She was immediately made a manager!!!

Apple take note...:rolleyes:

10. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

I can't think of a single time in the past several years Facebook "improved" something and it actually got better. Last time was the addition of groups and pages to FB, which actually made it a lot more useful.

This redesign looks just slightly worse because there's more clutter. I expect it's the beginning of a string of changes to turn IG into the new FB.

11. HacKage macrumors 6502

From what I had noticed, Facebook was being used less and less by the young crowd that the companies are focusing on, and being used more as an event scheduler or Gumtree/Craigslist alternative. Instagram is the app that everyone is using, and within that, Stories seem to have almost taken over from the feed itself. Since the feed was changed to not be chronological, and more and more adverts were put in, the Story feature is the quickest and easiest way of catching up with your social media needs. It is ever evolving, but Facebook's grip over everything will be it's downfall.

12. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

I hate stories. It just encourages quantity over quality that was already a problem with news feed. I am slowly removing myself from all social media except Twitter which seems to be the only one who is not obsessed by "improving" stuff.

13. Tech for Kings macrumors member

Same thing happened here, but with Google on my 1st-Gen Pixel phone. I was home discussing some item with my brother. He was at the door, so I spoke louder. I can’t recall the item, but it wasn’t something I had ever searched for and certainly didn’t recently. It was hours or a day later Google was putting that item in my face. I was livid! That was the very first time I ever caught it, because I knew for a fact I never used my phone to look into that item. I went on social media and everything directing my anger at Google for listening to private conversations to serve me ads on what I spoke about. Companies like Facebook & Google are truly pathetic and desperate. They’d go that far just to make a buck. If they’re willing to do that, just imagine what else others are doing with more nefarious reasons!

14. fairuz, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Stories encourage quality, I think. If you post more than 3 things per day there, people won't look at them. And they're also nice because they don't give FB a chance to throw annoying algorithms in, so it's just the last N things your friends posted. I've put more thought into this than I'd like to admit.

I check Snapchat and IG for 2 minutes in the morning to wake myself up, but I'd rather none of this exist for anyone. Facebook along with the iPhone ruined my childhood when everyone got into that at the start of middle school. Kids starting my year are noticeably less social and less happy.

Chainmail (disclaimer: I know the dev) is a nice alternative, allowing you to see things like reposted news from your friends while not really being a social media app since nobody posts about themselves.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 23, 2018 ---
    This should be pretty easy to test, unless this was some experimental feature they only enabled for a few users. I wouldn't notice cause I block my ads anyway, but tbh, it's more likely that you actually did search the drink and forgot, or the partner did and it linked you two together.

15. calstanford macrumors member

Another product that Facebook ****s up like Whatsapp, FB Messenger and FB proper

16. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

This has got to be the most hideous UI instagram has ever had.
    And it comes at the heels of the founders leaving the company...

The profile at the right literally has 6 buttons stacked. Who the EFF works at this company anymore that has talent? Probably all "Communications" majors who thing a rectangle is beautiful.

17. embraceware macrumors newbie

embraceware

You can archive and unarchive photos - does that kind of work as private?

18. HacKage macrumors 6502

This absolutely is not the case with me, because it is a drink that I haven't seen in years, is not available where I live, and was actually the wrong name of the product I had in mind, like saying Mountain Dew when I meant Fanta. We discussed this at 11pm while lying in bed, and when I looked through IG at 7:30am, the advert was there. It is almost impossible for it to have come through any other way.