Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular Facebook-owned image sharing site Instagram is today being updated with comment threads, a small but long-awaited feature that will bring better organized comments for the first time.

With comment threads, comments on Instagram will more closely resemble comments on Facebook, with replies clearly listed under top-level comments. Prior to comment threading, all comments, even those that were replies to existing comments, were listed in one general thread with no organization.

instagramthreadedcomments-800x467.jpg
Comment threads help you keep track of conversations and make it easy to respond to a specific thread. This update will make your feed an even better place to share interests, get inspired and connect with others.

Now, when you hit reply underneath any comment, your response will automatically be grouped right underneath it in a thread.
Instagram says these updates are part of Instagram version 24, available from the App Store today.

Instagram can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram Updated With Better Comment Organization

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
But of course the feature everyone wants, their chronological feed, will never return.

Quit crying. Most users didn't see more than 75% of the photos posted by those they followed when shown chronologically. That means you missed out on hundreds of pictures from the accounts you interacted with most and instead saw mostly pictures from the followers you cared little about.

With the change to an algorithm-based timeline, engagement increased quite a bit as people started seeing more of the pictures they cared most about.

But go ahead with your story about how you're the one person around that scrolled through +1,000 pictures each day to find just the most engaging ones and how it was a travesty to make the switch despite the shown positive benefits and growth Instagram has seen since.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
And this is true for every social media platform on the market.

i feel like i am missing half of what my actual friends are posting cuz i just dont get to see it

You can at least definitively turn off the algorithm feed in Twitter. I still have the "In case you missed it" feature turned on, however. Alternatively, you can use Tweetbot and it doesn't even support the algorithm, but with their last big update, Twitter's official client is actually better than Tweetbot in a lot of ways (this is coming from the guy who's bought every version of Tweetbot), though that's due to them restricting the APIs that third parties can use.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Do you really wanna see people shoving their giant iPads into social gatherings when trying to take a photo?

PTA meetings, soccer games, family church photos with that one aunt who uses her iPad to take a photo because she has a flip phone. :D

Reactions: Icaras

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Instagram, the best place to see p̶r̶o̶s̶t̶i̶t̶u̶t̶e̶ model photos.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
But how about to improve the image compression and add the ability to edit the thumbnails of the non square images ?

Reactions: Craiguyver

LethalOptical

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2016
IRL
Quit crying. Most users didn't see more than 75% of the photos posted by those they followed when shown chronologically. That means you missed out on hundreds of pictures from the accounts you interacted with most and instead saw mostly pictures from the followers you cared little about.

With the change to an algorithm-based timeline, engagement increased quite a bit as people started seeing more of the pictures they cared most about.

But go ahead with your story about how you're the one person around that scrolled through +1,000 pictures each day to find just the most engaging ones and how it was a travesty to make the switch despite the shown positive benefits and growth Instagram has seen since.

The algorithm is flawed. I consistently see photos that I have already engaged with from up to 2 days ago. I have to scroll through my feed and actually look for new photos because just about every other photo is one I have already had interaction with. Regular users up to 'influencer' type accounts with 10's to 100's of thousands have expressed discontent with the algorithm.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
The algorithm is flawed. I consistently see photos that I have already engaged with from up to 2 days ago. I have to scroll through my feed and actually look for new photos because just about every other photo is one I have already had interaction with. Regular users up to 'influencer' type accounts with 10's to 100's of thousands have expressed discontent with the algorithm.

It isn't a perfect method but it's far far better than chronological order where people were missing a huge percentage of photos posted. Like Facebook, you aren't going to scroll through over 1,500 posts a day to find the ones that are meaningful to you. Instead, people were starting to turn away from the platform until they made the change to surface the most interesting content.

As with both feeds, they'll continue to be works in progress while they tweak them to better show things of interest to us. It's in their best interest to do so, which is why they actively work on making them better.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Huge billion dollar company, can't even port their tiny little app to scale to an iPad. Congrats on spending years moving a comment to the right by a couple of pixels.

LethalOptical

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2016
IRL
As with both feeds, they'll continue to be works in progress while they tweak them to better show things of interest to us. It's in their best interest to do so, which is why they actively work on making them better.

I think the algorithm is driven in part by advertisers as well, but here's to hoping it gets sorted out I guess?

Reactions: eyeseeyou and jef82

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I think the algorithm is driven in part by advertisers as well, but here's to hoping it gets sorted out I guess?

Advertisements are inserted regardless of algorithm or chronological order. Being an advertiser doesn't cause your organic posts to appear more often. If it did, every business would advertise in order to be seen more often and people would stop going to Instagram because they'd see nothing else. It's about creating a balance with enough ads to make money, along with enough of the posts from people users want to see in order to keep them coming back. Instagram/Facebook is very aware and has tested this to the point they can tell down to the exact ads per organic, how often to show an add to maintain that balance.

Reactions: LethalOptical

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011

Some of us want to lurk in chronological order ok?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.