Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I see where you're coming from, but certainly in the case of IG, that was happening to me as it was anyway. The same 4-5 IG profiles (sneaker pages) were just flooding posts up, some of which I liked which the algorithm took as me wanting to see even more of those posts and I never got to see anything from my friends. Eventually I unfollowed ALL of these pages, and unfollowed the rest of the business/semi-commercial profiles I followed so that now my feed while out of order, is just around 300 people and it's possible to catch up as normal.

Where Facebook started as a social network for friends and has since become more of a content platform for businesses rather than social interaction, IG has also went from looking at friends live's to basically adverts from influencers and pages just bombarding people with product images.
Thanks for the reminder there about mom-personal profiles, just went through an unfollower those myself. I liked getting some updates from various ones I was interested in, but when the feed would mostly just show those, even with things from days ago from various ones, over new content that my actual friends posted, it became more detrimental to follow those than not seeing any mostly generic updates from them.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.